Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-25-2010

dmcgraw is on a distinguished road
"Decommissioning" a holding tank

I've got a J/30 that we use primarily for ocean racing. We don't use the head except for occasional use during races by those who cannot go off the stern - and this is pumped overboard. I do not use, and never again want to use the holding tank.

I cannot remove the head and holding tank, but I want to totally eliminate all odor. I've replaced the head itself and most of the plumbing, but the tank itself and the general area still stinks.

I've tried filling/pumping it out, followed by putting in a bit of fresh water and commercial head additives, but after a while it still stinks.

What could I do to "decommission" the holding tank? I was considering filling it with a strong bleach/water mix and letting it sit for a week, then draining it and putting a small fan in place to circulate air through it till it is bone dry.

Woudl this work? Is this a bad idea? Any other good ideas out there?

-dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
bleach in copious amounts usually does the trick. fill, let sit, flush, open every possible port and leave open.

I also found that "odor absorbent" cans (sold at HD and elsewhere) stored in closed compartments near the tank help keep the smell down quite a bit.
Old 10-25-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
white vinegar. are you racing in the ocean, or truly ocean racing? I'm sure you know this, but if you're within the shore limits and are boarded by the CG, well.... your call. I'll stop there.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 10-25-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2010

We race little boats on lakes, this boat lives on the coast and is used for point-to-point offshore ocean racing.

Would it make sense to let the white vinegar sit for a while before flushing it out?

I might try the vinegar followed by the bleach. I'd really like to just remove the whole thing but not sure its class legal (also looks really hard to remove...)
Old 10-25-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Could be the waste line from the head to tank, particularly if there is a low spot. It takes substantially more pumping to clean the line to the holding tank than most guests believe.

I assume you have a Y-valve that can skip the holding tank, or are you decommissioning the head as well?
Old 10-25-2010

Nope, looks like everything has to stay to keep the boat class legal (can't even change the type of head...)
Old 10-25-2010

BenMP is on a distinguished road
Do you have a fresh or salt water flush. if it is salt water the problem might be with marine organisms getting pumped in and dieing/decaying in the lines/tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem is not likely to be the tank itself. I haven't heard of a plastic tank permeating... though I do believe some of the flexible bladder tanks have.

The problem is likely one of two things:
  1. The hoses connected to the tank have permeated
  2. There was/is a leak and that has caused some of the sewage to leak out and innudate the area in sewage stench

I would recommend testing the hoses for permeation by soaking a cotton towel in really hot water and then applying to the hose for a few minutes. If the towel smells like sewage when you remove it, the hoses have been permeated with sewage and need to be replaced. Use Trident 101/102 hose for this per Peggie Hall's recommendation.

Then I would also recommend spraying the area down with Raritan CP, which is a bio-active cleaning solution that will eliminate the sources of the odor. Rinse well with water after letting the CP sit for the recommended period of time.

If the hoses are replaced and you clear the vent line to the holding tank, then you shouldn't have much problems in the way of odor. If you're serious about this, I would recommend upgrading the holding tank vent lines to 1" diameter hose and adding a second vent line to the tank, on the opposite end of the tank from the existing vent line, and plumb it to a through-hull just under the hull deck join. This will insure the tank is well ventilated and promote the growth of aerobic good bacteria rather than the anaerobic smelly producing bad bacteria.

One helpful recommendation would be to flush the head with FRESH WATER before leaving the boat for any period of time. The reason for this is one source of head smells is the sea life that comes in with the raw water. If it is left sitting in the head, pump and lines, it will die and start to decompose. If the head is being used regularly, it will end up in the holding tank before it dies... but if the head isn't being used for several days, it can cause a really nasty stench.

You need to rig the head intake line to do this. On my boat, the sink drain can either drain overboard or to the head intake line. If your boat's head sink has a drain through-hull and seacock that is below the waterline, the easiest way to do this is to re-route the head's intake line to a t-fitting in the sink's drain line, below the waterline. This would allow you to flush using raw water by leaving the seacock open and plugging the sink drain. It would also allow you to flush with fresh water by closing the seacock and filling the sink with water. It doesn't pose a contamination hazard, since the sink acts as a vacuum-break between the freshwater system and the head.

I wouldn't use a strong solution of bleach, since it can easily damage the parts in the head, like the gaskets, joker valve, pump seals, etc.. It will also kill off the good bacteria required to keep the holding tank from generating the nasty smells you want to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgraw View Post
I've got a J/30 that we use primarily for ocean racing. We don't use the head except for occasional use during races by those who cannot go off the stern - and this is pumped overboard. I do not use, and never again want to use the holding tank.

I cannot remove the head and holding tank, but I want to totally eliminate all odor. I've replaced the head itself and most of the plumbing, but the tank itself and the general area still stinks.

I've tried filling/pumping it out, followed by putting in a bit of fresh water and commercial head additives, but after a while it still stinks.

What could I do to "decommission" the holding tank? I was considering filling it with a strong bleach/water mix and letting it sit for a week, then draining it and putting a small fan in place to circulate air through it till it is bone dry.

Woudl this work? Is this a bad idea? Any other good ideas out there?

-dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.