Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-28-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
converting jib to mainsail

i have a new 120 jib off of a 40 ft c&c would it be difficult to recut into a main for my 24 ft islander bahama and how do i do it? i have an industrial sewing machine and am good with it i just need to know whats better repurpose or sell it and buy the one i need? also the jib is set for roller furling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
If the C&C sail is really new, then it's worth something. Sell it and buy a proper main with the proceeds. I highly recommend Bacon Sails (see my last entry in this thread Genoa Delam Wooes. They really care about the customer and are an established loft in Annapolis. Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies

The shape of a main and jib are very different. By cutting the jib, you'd be making a sub-par main because the sail was not designed for that purpose. Good idea, but it won't work and in the end, you'll have a main that you don't like and will have spent a LOT of time getting there.

If you really want to make a main, buy a SailRite (Sunbrella Fabrics, Sailcloth, Canvas and Sail Hardware, Gill Foul Weather Gear and More!) kit. They are great people and very helpful. You will save approx 1/2 off the price off a new sail.
Old 10-28-2010
islander bahama 24

dont really want to make a sail myself just cant find a buyer for this one and its just sitting. the average price ive gotten for a new main for me is between 800 and a grand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
WAY to much work to try to convert a jib to a main.. as Sabreman says it's just not the right sort of sail.. different shape and you'd have to add slugs, reef points, batten pockets & battens... it'd be like starting over and you'd end up with something that really wouldn't work well.

Put it in a consignment store.. if it's in good shape it will sell and then get yourself the proper sail for your boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-28-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Bacon's, Minney's, Atlantic Sail Traders, and the like have made a business of consigning sails. You get part of the selling price (approx 50%, I think) which is about right for a retail markup. I was at Bacon's yesterday and saw a stack of checks to consignees, so they sell.

BTW - By the time you buy all the hardware needed to retro the sail, I suspect that you'll put in a couple hundred dollars. Cost of your kit at Sailrite is ~$615
Old 10-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A jib is cut completely wrong for use as a main. The panels, the hardware, etc. are all wrong. You're going to be a lot better off selling the jib and buying a used sail for your boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2010
islander bahama 24

OK decided to sell jib its worth more than 2 times the cost of new main for mine. from fx the c&c listed for over 4k new so worth at least 2k and new main for ib24 is 850 the way i want it with full battens and 3 reefs thanks guys for all the input

Old 10-28-2010

garyguss is on a distinguished road
From the title I thought you were sailing backwards
Old 10-29-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
While you should be able to sell the sail we buy a lot of used ones and the prices are lower than 1/2 of new as they tend to require some mods that add to the final cost

Are last one was a UK carbon tape drive #3 for a 35' boat at 600 dollars that was a close to new as i have ever seen

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat