Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-31-2001

chipwheeler is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

I have a Cascade 29 out here in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am thinking about taking out the propane stove and replacing it with a refrigerator. I am looking at a compact Avanti model for sale at $100. It measures less than two feet in any direction. I can bolt it to the plywood where it will rest. I have two questions: 1. Will it cool enough for a tropical climate? 2. Will it be able to withstand the jostling that it will get sailing rough Hawaiian waters?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2001

munchimike is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

Well Chip, for a hunny who''s picky??There are no guarantees in life, certainly not at sea, and if you got one at your condo, you''d better stay there!
Old 02-07-2001

Refrigerators

I''m sorry that I asked.
Old 02-08-2001

kbsojourner is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

Chip,
Below is a link to the Avanti website. See if they provide specifications (BTU output) for the model you''re looking for. There are several good articles on the SailNet site providing BTU loss data for refrigeration size/insulation. In the tropics there''s going to be a lot more heat to remove, so bear that in mind when looking for any refrigeration system. My other concern would be the latching mechanism on what appears to be a residential use system. You may have to have an alternative way to secure the door if you decide on this system. Also, consider how the refrigerator would be secured in that space; certainly not a big problem, just something to think about.

http://www.compactappliance.net/compactappliance/index.html

Best Regards,
Kathy
MS Sojourner
Old 02-08-2001

Refrigerators

Dear Kathy,

You were very helpful. I appreciate your concerns and your information. I found the site and looked at the specifications. Now I feel better about the purchase.

Chip
Old 04-14-2001

deigert@gateway.net is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

Recently found that my Alder-Barbour cold machine was not funtioning. Compressor runs but does not get cold. Some oily residue found on compressor mounting bracket. Perhaps a bad seal?? Any help is appreciated.

Charlie Deigert
Old 04-27-2001
HMSINDY

JohnYates is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

I am wondering if anyone leaves their refrigeration unit running during the week while away from the boat. Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2001

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

Do it all the time with a smaller Norcold AC/DC unit we have on board. Runs on shore power when connected. If shore power is interrupted for any reason it switches over to DC and upon re-establishment of Shore Power switches back to AC. These are great units to have aboard a small boat or as a supplement to your holding plate. We keep beverages and condiments which require refrigeration in this unit and fire up the holding plate if we are going cruising for several days or longer or need a freezer. The Norcold will even make ice for you--in small quantities but certainly enough to chill a drink. Left on DC with limited opening and closing it draws about 3amps/hour and over a 24 hour period probably in the neighborhood of 15-25amps. This is the second Norcold unit I have had on my current boat. The original lasted for 12 years before the DC side went out. This was my own fault because you cannot run it off of power supplied by an inverter--you have to unplug the AC before turning on the inverter unless it is a pure sine wave unit.
This is a great little unit and one of the few "bullet Proof" pieces of boating equip. that I have found.
Also, if you have holding plate aboard, whether you have an AC side to use while at the dock or DC through your battery charger typically you will be salt water cooled which means there is another hole in the boat allowing water to come in while the boat is unattended-personally, I don''t like this and this is another reason to have the Norcold on board. If your leaving the boat for several days or more and you have your freezer running how do you know that power was not interrupted with foods defrosting and then refreezing, probably spoiled food resulting.
Old 05-01-2001

sfloyd2 is on a distinguished road
Refrigerators

Oily residue is a sign of a seal leak. Freon is an oily substance.