SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Which 4-stroke? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/69513-4-stroke.html)

neilfromsydney 10-30-2010 11:12 PM

Which 4-stroke?

I need to buy an outboard for a 2.4 metre (7.9 foot) rubber dinghy. I'm thinking a 4-stroke for quietness and little vibration.

Low weight is a primary requirement and I'm thinking either the Honda BF2 or Suzuki DF2.5. Both weigh ~14kg (30.9lbs) with fuel. I note that some of these outboards have the throttle (as is 'normal' on the larger motors) on the handle and others I think on the motor body (perhaps less conveniently). Another variation appears to be that some manufacturers don't provide a reverse gear and, instead, ask that you rotate the engine 180 degrees to get the same effect. Perhaps the lack of a reverse gear is a desirable simplification or maybe not.

Comments please.

Neil from Sydney, Oz

MARC2012 10-31-2010 02:26 AM

Think I would go with 2 stroke.Have a 4hp,4 stoke yamaha and not pleased with quality or performance.Also difficult to work on.marc

Yorksailor 10-31-2010 08:05 AM

My 15 HP Tohatsu 4 stroke weighs almost 50lbs more than the equivalent 2 stroke. I should have got the 2 stroke.

RNGypsy03 10-31-2010 08:52 AM

There are 2 strokes still available in the US but they are the last of them. In some states like Michigan, you can't buy or operate one. With that said, a 2 stroke is the best bet for your size of dinghy. If you are outside the US they are widely available. If you are not, check dealerships for close outs.*

We had 2 major considerations when choosing our outboard. One was weight! *We plan to mount the outboard on the stern stanchion, and top the inflatable on the fore deck while under weigh. Second, was availability of parts. If you are sailing abroad, your best choice is a Yamaha. You simply can't find parts for Hondas like you can for Yamahas. They are extremely dependable which is what matters for me.*

Consider your load... How many adults? *Will you be hauling, laundry, groceries, water? *Don't underpower yourself because you may be trying to get to shore in rough water. I'd say for the size of boat, and depending on your load, Id look at a 10-8-or-5 Hp Yamaha. We bought ours with a warranty at Tubbes, in Ft Lauderdale.*

Hope this helps!

RNGypsy03

Check us out at Sailboatdog dot com!

jrd22 10-31-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARC2012 (Post 660986)
Think I would go with 2 stroke.Have a 4hp,4 stoke yamaha and not pleased with quality or performance.Also difficult to work on.marc

I also have a Yamaha 4/4 and it is for sale, nuff said. I bought a used 2 stroke.
The lack of reverse on a small engine isn't a drawback as far as I'm concerned.

Maine Sail 10-31-2010 09:45 AM

The best 4 stroke, is a 2 stroke.:D

mikefossl 10-31-2010 02:24 PM

Honda 2HP

I've had the Honda for a few years and it's been very reliable and makes excellent thrust for its size.

It's an exception to the HP/weight rule when it comes to 4 stroke compared to 2 stroke. The higher the horsepower the more the weight ratio seems to favour the 2 strokes.

chef2sail 10-31-2010 04:42 PM

[I] have a 4 stroke 4hp Tahatusu (Nissan). A bit heavy but we have a hoist. It is the lowest hp outboard where you have both an integrel tank and have the availabilty to hook up an external tank. 4 strokes are much quiter than 2 and you dont have to worry about mixxing the right proportion of oil. We have been very happy with the Tahatsu.

Dave

dabnis 10-31-2010 06:03 PM

I had a 2HP Honda for a number of years. Great little motor,
ran it hard, no problems, but it did vibrate more than my
6HP 2 stroke Evinrude which weighed about 45 lbs,IIRC.
I had the Honda on a 10 foot aluminum pram type hull.
It wouldn't plane but with 2 people aboard it was more than
adequate against current and chop.

Dabnis

TohatsuGuru 11-04-2010 04:41 PM

The Honda is the better quality product as it is made in Japan. The Suzuki is made in Thailand and seems to suffer a little. Having said that...The Honda is an air cooled design and not something you could pay me to operate. Actually you could pay me to use it:) Offers anyone?