Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-03-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I've been having mine shrink wrapped by the yard and have been happy so far. I use the boom and spinnaker pole from the mast to the bow pulpit as my framing. I'm surprised you've been quoted $630 for wrapping a 30 footer. My yard (not nearly the cheapest around) charges me $300 for my 28 footer. They don't include vents, by get them from Dr. Shrink.com for $1.80 a piece and put them on myself. Must be East Coast prices are much higher...

Ideally I'd use a custom winter cover, but so far I haven't wanted to fork over the cash to have one made, even though I know they're actually cheaper in the long run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
We just put our cover on for the first time. It was made by a loft in CT and doesn't even go to the rails. It came with the boat when we bought it and based on the location of mast, winch pads, topping lift and backstay, it's a fit, but it seems strange to not go the extra 6 inches to the rail. Any good reason why it would have been made this way?

Here is a pic:

Old 11-04-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Any good reason why it would have been made this way?
I cover mine primarily to keep snow and ice off of the deck, which anything that extends beyond the toerail/deck joint should do. Secondarily, I cover it to protect the exterior wood and topsides from unnecessary UV exposure. Ventilation is important, however, because a cover can make the boat become a sauna, even during winter. The high temps and humidity can cause mold problems and wood expansion/contraction.

Your cover provides good UV protection and ventilation but I'd worry about snow and ice reaching the deck and hardware, particularly with the winds and snow that come off Lake Michigan in the winter. Maybe you could have the yard add an extension so goes past your deck joint? It looks like you've got a teak toerail, which might benefit from extra coverage too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2010

ronbo1 is on a distinguished road
Check out Sea Canvas.

I've seen Carl spend a lot of time getting precise measurements.
My Canvas Store cover had to be sent back for recutting. as have several covers I know of.

Sea Canvas

Ronbo
Old 11-04-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Any good reason why it would have been made this way?
The boom tent covers like yours are commonly sold with or without the toerail flaps. Flaps cost extra of course. The usual recommendation is get flaps if you have teak toerails, and you can skip them if you have an aluminum toerail.
Old 11-04-2010
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Your cover provides good UV protection and ventilation but I'd worry about snow and ice reaching the deck and hardware, particularly with the winds and snow that come off Lake Michigan in the winter. Maybe you could have the yard add an extension so goes past your deck joint? It looks like you've got a teak toerail, which might benefit from extra coverage too.
Fortunately, this is the only year that we are going to use the cover (we are heading south soon) and I'm not going to worry much about one year. Just more curious why they would make it like this. The only fear I have is the drain for the deck cracking and filling the boat with water. We will just go out there a few times a month to check on everything.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-04-2010

MrsDergon is on a distinguished road
For a lower-cost solution, and if you have some basic drafting skills, we recommend Toledo Tarp in Ohio. (Check out toledotarp.com.) Yes, it's far from you, but they ship anywhere. Their main business is canvas covers for 18-wheelers. You do have to design your canvas yourself, but their customer service is awesome, and for $900 they could make a cover for a boat your size that would cover you down to your waterline, and last 15 years or more. The canvas is breathable but extremely (extremely) durable. Wherever you buy, I recommend getting your cover made in even three pieces, so that you don't have to deal with excessively heavy bundles of canvas when it comes time to wrap your baby for the winter.
Old 11-04-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
My boat is on the hard with the mast down and has been under cover for two years now, going on three. So the cover has seen two full summers as well. I used PVC pipe for the frame and simply heated and bent it over the top of hte mast and fastened it to the lifelines. I bought two of the heaviest black and silver poly tarps from McMaster Carr. They'll make a special size if you want. However rectangular tarps don't cover tapered hulls very well. So I used a smaller tarp for the bow and simply lapped them over near the middle about 3 feet. The tarps cost me about $150 for my 26 footer. They'll make it through this winter with no problem, and probably another.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 11-04-2010

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Another option is to do your own shrinkwrap. It's not too hard. The first year I did it alone, which was a bit much, but I managed. The following spring I removed it carefully in two pieces, cut at the mast. The next fall I reused the shrinkwrap, adding a small new section by the mast. This season I'll use the bow section for a third time, but the larger section aft of the mast will be new.

Cost: about $250 for the shrinkwrap and tape, enough for at least 3 winters on a 47' boat.

I do it all from the deck using a hand-held heat gun. A bit crazy yes, but with patience it works just fine. It also seems much safer to me than working from a ladder. (Of course if someone would like to share a shrinkwrap gun in RI I'd be happy to help you do your boat too. But then I couldn't shrink it from the deck.) Because our boat's hull is painted, it shouldn't be shrink wrapped. I run a line along the toerail and attach the shrinkwrap around it. Ribs are made of gray pvc? electrical conduit to give us more space to work on deck.

Old 11-06-2010

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Bought a full Fairclough cover last year. It is very impressive and I think very much worth the cost. They installed it last year, so I haven't done it myself yet, but plan on doing that in a couple of weeks. They were good to work with.

BTW, I think the frame is galvanized. There was no issue last winter with dripping that stained the deck. It's fine with Awlgrip too.

They have a lot of boat designs in their files, so it is quite possible they would not need to come and measure your boat first, so that would speed up the process.