Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-07-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
We have a full Fairclough cover that we were lucky enough to get with the boat. We've installed it and removed it a couple times ourselves. The canvas was about 12 year old, so we had it restitched last year at Fairclough, and dealing with the company was great. No problems and they were generally helpful.

I highly recommend this type of cover. We worked on the boat during the winter, even on deck, and it wasn't too cold. And when we had so much snow this past year in Maryland (multiple feet, multiple storms), the cover/frame stayed in tact and protected the boat. After going through that, and seeing how so many other boats fared, I can't imagine not having a cover.

-J
Old 11-09-2010

lat42lon71 is on a distinguished road
Fairclough is the way to go

I started by making frames and covers that never did fit right and cover the boat properly or failed under heavy snow.
Finally purchased a Fairclough, full frame, mast in, 2 piece, full cover - covers entire boat down to the water line. Besides my below deck Autopilot it is the best purchase I've made. Fits perfectly, has a zippered access door and vents. I keep the cabin doors off the entire winter, no snow, no moisture or mold. Cover up in November - no worries the entire winter. Takes four hours to install alone, half that coming off. Purchase off season for a generous discount.
Sabre 30 cover cost was $2800 including delivery.
Go for it - you won't be sorry.

Bob D
Boston
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2010

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
I have a 26' Seafarer, which is not all that much shorter/smaller than your 303 and I use a 25'x30' tarp over the mast. The mast is supported at the bow pulpit at the mast step and at the crutch which is at the wheel. The tarp cost me $75. I either take down the stantions and lifelines or leave them up (depends on if I plan to work on the foredeck or cabin top during the winter) with empty plastic cups over the tops of the stantions. The fore part of the tarp gets tied shut, the sides get tied together under the hull and the stern gets woven together to allow me to get in/out.

Used this method for 3 years w/o any sign of damage to the mast or other bits of the boat. 3 years is about all I get out of a tarp though due to wind/weather/ice/snow, etc. Without the stantions in there generally is no issue with snow staying on the tarp, too much of an angle and it slides right off.

I've heard many people say that you shouldn't use the mast as the center support for a tarp like this but in my experience, so long as it's properly supported, there's no harm in it. Takes me about an hour to put the tarp on and get it tied down so it stays through the winter. I do have an advantage though in that I keep it in my yard next to the garage
Old 11-13-2010

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Very happy with my Fairclough cover. Original came w/boat six years ago. Bought a replacement a couple of years ago. Great cover, great service. On a sunny cold day it is quite warm underneath for projects.