Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
winterizing deck washdown

I have a freshwater deck washdown in the bow of my boat. The hose runs through the uninsulated anchor locker, so I think it would be prudent to winterize it. I will not be winterizing the entire water system since I live aboard. My thought is to cut the hose for the deck washdown under the v-berth and install a valve with quick-connects on it. Then I can shut off the valve and disconnect the hose to the deck washdown to drain it into a bucket. Sound like a good plan? My other idea was very similar, except using a Y-valve so I can switch the deck washdown between the pressure water and an "open" port that would let it drain out. Which do you think is better?

Can you recommend the appropriate fittings? The hose is clear plastic with some kind of mesh embedded in it, along with red and blue stripes embedded in it. The OD is 0.9" and the ID I believe is 0.5", but I didn't measure that. I have some neat quick connects on my water pump that just let you mate the two parts together and pop a ring over the joint to hold them in that position... I can't find that on Defender.
Old 11-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Check for whale quick connects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Either way sounds like a good plan, the Y valve saves having to take the hose off and on but that's not a big deal. On ours we open the deck outlets and just disconnect the hose at the saltwater pump (usually AFTER closing the thru hull :-)) ) which then drains into the bilge. With yours being part of the fresh water system that wouldn't work without a valve like you are planning, but locating where you install the valve so that the water could drain into the bilge might make it easier.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-12-2010

I've put this task off too long, largely because I can't find the necessary fittings. Defender and West Marine both seem to be lacking, not only in product selection, but in product descriptions... I can't tell what fits what. There must be some kind of online plumbing superstore that contains every fitting you could ever need at a reasonable price, right? Anyone know of a reputable one? I'm primarily looking for a 3-way valve to use as outlined in my original post, so it would need to have hose barbs on the connectors or easily accept threaded hose barb fittings of the necessary diameter (and the website would tell me which fittings would fit the valve's threads...). Thanks, and sorry for resurrecting an old thread.
Old 12-12-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
just shut off the pressure and use a small compressor to blow the line out, then shut if off.

home depot does sell a quick connect hose system that make hoses attach just like an air compressor line. if you installed one where the line attaches to the pressure pump it would be easy to disconnect the line and drain it. they also have a shut off built in that will stop the pressure pump for sending water out the disconnected line.

Melnor Deluxe Hose Connector Kit - 15MQCCB at The Home Depot
Old 12-12-2010

scottyt, I'm sorry I wasn't explicit about this point... I live aboard, so the pressure water system will remain active all winter. I just need a way of disconnecting the hose that runs from the head to the bow for the washdown so I can drain only that segment.
Old 12-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
scottyt, I'm sorry I wasn't explicit about this point... I live aboard, so the pressure water system will remain active all winter. I just need a way of disconnecting the hose that runs from the head to the bow for the washdown so I can drain only that segment.
You'll need to install a seacock to shut off that segment and a quick disconnect to make it easy to service.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-13-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i know you live aboard, what i linked to has a built in shut off.

if you installed it in the line to the deck wash, you could just pop it apart and drain the upstream part. the rest of the system would remain active.

what i meant by this is

Quote:
just shut off the pressure and use a small compressor to blow the line out, then shut if off
is if it had a below deck shut off, you could shut the pressure off, blow it back into the tank, then shut off the below deck shut off, the turn the pump back on.
Old 12-13-2010

scottyt, I guess I don't really understand what that device you linked is. It advertises that it lets you switch hoses without getting wet, which to me means that it seals when you disconnect it. That wouldn't seem to be conducive to draining the disconnected line. It also appears to have threads for a garden hose, so I'd need to find adapters to bring it down to a 1/2" hose barb. I doubt I can find a single-stage adapter to do that, I'd probably need two, unless someone can point me to a really comprehensive plumbing supply company online.

sailingdog, that is exactly what I need, but where do I get it? I can't seem to find the full selection of parts in the necessary sizes to build that.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 12-13-2010
Telstar 28

How about this:

Get one of these:

and one of these:

and one of these

Click the photos to get the webpage for each item. This allows you to cut the line and install a ballvalve. While they're not "marine" grade hardware, this is your freshwater tank system, so marine grade isn't totally necessary.

BTW, you can probably get the various parts in "marine" grade, but I don't see a need for it.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-13-2010 at 10:39 AM.