Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
phone as modem

im a sprint/nextel customer and have a samsung instinct. i subscribe to the 'everything unlimited' plan, but was informed that i cant use my phone as a modem--which various sites say used to work. i can, however, buy their air card and get access for an additional 40 bucks a month--seems kinda silly to me when i pay for unlimited everything.

anyway to hack my phone?

my buddy apparently has an app for his iphone allowing him to set it next to any computer and be on line. im considering paying the early termination fee and switching to another carrier, as the 40/mo not paid for an air card savings would recoup my early term fee.

so:
do any of you use phone as modem? how well does it work?
which carrier/phone? any way to get around my 'block,' as the phone auto shuts down when plugged to a pc?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
Sure, just google how to jailbreak the phone you have. I have a 3G IPhone on ATT which I tether all the time.
Old 11-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be aware, that if they say you can't use the phone for tethering and you do jailbreak it to tether, you might end up incurring massive data charges. The reasoning for this is simple, computers generate far more bandwidth use than a phone possibly could... and by tethering it on your "unlimited" phone plan, you're no longer using the connection the way a phone would.

See here for how to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2010
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Seems pretty clear the wireless carriers are not running to let you do this unless you pay an extra "tethering" fee for your theoretically already-unlimited wireless.

It's easy to do with a rooted iPhone, even easier on an Android phone, will be a (pay-extra) feature on newer iPhones/Androids.

And here's the link you're looking for for the Instinct:
Samsung Instinct Applications • View topic - How to tether Samsung Instinct with Windows PC

YMMV
Old 11-02-2010
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
I've been using PDA Net for years (Windowz Mobile & now Android). Woreks great and never had any issues with my carrier.

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 11-02-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I'm tethering an old AT&T 3G phone - slow but utterly reliable. I tried their aircard briefly, faster, but often it couldn't get signal in the same place the old phone worked fine for voice or computer (or both simultaneously). I can't be of much help to you though, because I don't think the phone is sold any more - obsolete.
Old 11-02-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking of going to an Ipad with their 3G plan, which is less expensive than an aircard.
Old 11-02-2010

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
You will only incur charges if you exceed the data limits of your contract. You could have your account cancelled if they feel you are violating the contract.

Why a company would sell you a data plan on a USB dongle and not allow you to just add that plan to your phone is mind boggling. But what makes sense about wireless?

Monopolies are simply bad.
Old 11-02-2010

gasolino is on a distinguished road
I'm using a wifi tethered Motorola Droid on Verizon to post this right now. Yeah, it's not allowed on Verizon either, but after jailbreaking my Droid, it's as easy as downloading an app.

I'm losing patience with it. Slow would be OK, but it is not reliable. Some days I can have an hour long Skype chat with no issues. Other days, I can't even get Google to come up without refreshing a few times. Don't really know why. I get good service in my apartment.
Old 11-02-2010
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I used Sprint phone for tethering for a number of years (before I switched to iPhone). It works just fine. For "dumb" phones there is usually a "hack" that allows your phone to be used as a USB modem. You normally need to get a "secret number" to unlock system features of your phone from Sprint, but it is an official process - they have to give you this number if you need to reset your phone, for example.

For blackberries and android based devices tethering is a normal functionality. Sprint occasionally tries to block it on the phone, but there is pretty much nothing they can do against that on the network. Just don't use it way over the limit (to stay under their radar).

Caveat: it'd be hard to use it a lot because Sprint data connection speeds are pretty slow (as are all other mobile networks, especially when you are not right under one of their towers) - when compared to high speed internet like cable/dsl. You may think "oh sure, I'll just use it lightly" but you'll probably quickly see that most modern websites don't do too well with that sort of speed.