Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-03-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
whole boat water filtration

I'd like to set up whole-boat water filtration so I can drink the water from the tap on my boat from either the galley or the head. My boat has FRP water tanks molded into the bilge, so they date from 1979. If you recall my thread about trying to open the tank inspection port, that didn't go so well. I did eventually get a camera inside and learned that a) it's really dirty, and b) even if I got the port open, it would be impossible to fully clean due to the placement of the baffles. So I'm on to filtration.

I need a filter setup that will get rid of bacteria/algae/mold and also anything that might be leeching out of the FRP of the tank itself. I have read a bunch of threads here on SN, and I really like this one in which Maine Sail talks about a simple and cheap filtration system, but I worry that it isn't enough for my circumstances. Do you think I need something more? Perhaps something down to 0.2 microns? This 3M system is more money than I want to spend, but I think it will do the job and only need replacement once a year. Should I perhaps do both in series? I read in another thread that I should do series filters of 5 microns, 0.5 micron and 0.2 microns. Maybe instead I should get a 5 micron filter and then that 3M filter? I'm just looking for the cheapest alternative. I don't want to have to have a Brita on the faucet like in Maine Sail's thread.

Can you guys guide me on which of these possibilities is the most cost effective and will accomplish my goals? Perhaps there is another possibility I have overlooked? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
if the water is coming in from a body of fresh water you might want to look at these:

BioLogic Pure Water Pack Ultraviolet Water Purifier treats 1.5 gallons per minute and 90 gallons per hour

my buddy installed a version w/ only the uv, but that wont get out the particulates, but it is a bit cheaper.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
The water going into the tank is from the city of Boston, it's very clean and treated. The problem is the quality of the water coming out of the tank. I don't think I can justify the cost of that UV filter, though it is intriguing. If the second stage filter was 0.2 microns, I'd consider it, but as-is I don't think it will meet my needs. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 11-03-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough

Step one as a clean water person on Long Island is the tap water is not all that clean anyplace in terms of TDS (TDS describes all solids (usually mineral salts) that are dissolved in water)

By not filtering you tank filling water your putting a good amount of dirt into a closed system that will just clog your final filters

Its very hard to keep water clean on a boat that sits on a mooring 5 days a week in warm weather Vs one in everyday use with regular water movement

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 11-03-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2010

oh, tommays, who hasnt eaten a mud pie in their life?!?

before making the decision, he had the water (which supplies to the local drinking supply--after some form of treatment im sure) checked by a drinking water assay, and all was good. yet.... i dont like the idea of drinking fish poo

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-03-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
We check the incoming water all the time as its and right now for example its about TWICE as clean with the cool weather as it was in the peak water use of the summer heat wave

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-03-2010

what was it.... water water all around and lots of poo to drink? har t har har

though this is scary stuff, and that red algae can kill fish, so it cant be good for you!

Public Health: Ameba-related death

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-03-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ryan—

what you want is not a whole boat water filtration system, but a filtration system for the tap that you will be dispensing water for consumption from. If you shock treat the water system on your boat per Peggie Hall's directions and put a filter on the vent line to the water tank, the water should be relatively clean and pathogen free. All you really need at that point is a filter to get rid of any chemical/mineral content and particulates. If your boat has a pressurized water system, using a sink-faucet mounted water filter similar to a PUR or Brita will take care of that for you. You could have a similar filter setup under the counter, in-line with the galley faucet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I use one of these filters System IV, $25 at Camping World.

It made a big difference in the taste/odor of the well water at our marina.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 11-03-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The other advantage of the faucet mounted filter is that you need only filter drinking water.. not dishwater or any other use.. You switch to 'filter' position when filling a kettle for coffee or tea, or straight drinking, and not for the other uses. Filter usage and life is extended by not filtering water that's not necessary.

We've had the Brita now for several years and its' working well for us.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)