Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
WS - Pleaes tell us how it turned out when appropriate.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I'll update you when (if) I solve the problem. This site has been enormously helpful to me in bringing my head into the 21st century.
Answering some suggestions: I have a vented loop on the overboard discharge, which diverts off the tank line with a y-valve (handle removed). The tank inflow does not have a loop as it does not go overboard and cannot siphon seawater into the boat. This backflow occurred while testing the overboard discharge with seawater only. It happened slowly, I didn't notice the extra water in the bowl until later. After that I pumped some air through the line by operating the pump. That seemed to solve it. I don't know if the valve cleared or the water was just all overboard.
Old 11-06-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
WStar---

One arrow you might want to add to your quiver for head meintenance/longevity that I have found very helpful is to keep a squeeze bottle (used liquid soap bottle or whatever) with a mix of SaltAway and water in the heads. We have and when anyone uses the head, once they've pumped the bowl empty and flushed the system (at least 5 added pump strokes please) we ask them to put a good squirt of the SaltAway mix in the bowl and give the pump a few more strokes. Getting this material into the waste lines prevents the built-up of salt and calcium carbonate in the lines and seems to help preserve the flapper valve and joker valve and our heads remain clean and functional. I do a maintenance call on the units (we have two) annually but can easily get two or three years on a set a valves (more if I wanted to push the issue). While SaltAway is not inexpensive, one needs only 1+/- oz in a large (34 oz) squeeze bottle so it is a cost effective way to help maintain the head equipment.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-07-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Thanks. The old lines were full of coarse deposits.