Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2003

gwp is on a distinguished road
Need help sailing singlehanded???

Yesterday, for the first time I successfully sailed singlehandedly. Though things were stressful at times, I had a blast and things went well. Does anyone have any tricks for locking the tiller temporarily so as to go forward to raise sails, get an drink, etc? Not interested in an autopilot yet. I have a tiller extension which I was able to wedge into the bimini frame to escape the cockpit, but it seems there should be a better way. Is there an item (other than autopilot) made specifically for this purpose? Thanks.....Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2003
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Can get a tiller tamer from West Marine for about $30. It''s basically just a length of rope run through a locking mechanism. You can also use a length of rope from side to side with a couple of wraps around the tiller handle in a pinch. Not sure about other brands, but Hunters have a cutout in the cockpit floor for a table, which you can get a rod with a cup on top to hold the tiller handle. Hope this helps.

Fair winds,
John
Old 05-10-2003

gershel is on a distinguished road

Get an autopilot.It will free you up to trim the sails, make a meal, take a whiz. With a remote installed, you can raise & lower sails, reef, pull the anchor,etc. without having to run back to the tiller. High safety factor, especially when singlehanding
Marc
Old 05-10-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I don''y know how big a boat you are single-handing but I was very successful at single-handing my previous 28 footer by using a length of shock chord that I rigged accross the cockpit. I used a heavier shock chord (typically 5/16" and 3/8"). I would tie a permanent loop in each end that I could drop over cleats on both sides of the cockpit. When in place the shock chord was relatively tight. I would leave it in place the whole time that I was single-handing. When I needed to leave the tiller I would take two or three loops of shock chord around the end of the tiller. I was able to make fine adjustments by rotating the loops around the tiller a little bit one way or another. This worked well enough on my boat that I could single-hand under spinacker including jibing the pole, go to the head or make lunch (although I would typically hove to do the latter two items.)

That is about as easy and cheap a solution as I know of. Regular line does not work as well for this purpose.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2003

gwp is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.....I never heard of a tiller tamer, so I did a search and when I saw it, I remembered seeing one left by the previous owner. Ha....I already have one. What a break! Although I like Jeff''s idea too. I will try his first before I drill two holes in my tiller. Thanks for the help....Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.