Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-15-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
LOL @ "shartplotter" I'm gonna remember that next time somebody tells me about their garmin crapping out... again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I had a garmin handheld when i was chartering and now have a garmin plotter on my boat. DEFINITELY get a model with "preloaded" charts if you go with a garmin (which I would recommend to anyone based on my experience - others may have different opinions). It is far cheaper and the base map is completely useless - you need the coastal charts. It also has built in tidal and current information which is very useful to have.

I used to think radar wasnt necessary until the day I got stuck in a pea soup fog in the middle of chesapeake bay with boats and ships all around that I could hear but not see. I wouldnt sail in a fog prone place like Maine without it, though you could get away without it in other places. I wouldnt want to rely on DR in a place with major tidal currents and fog. People do it but they are braver than I am (or maybe they have more insurance)
Old 12-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Before spending money on the chartplotter, I'd recommend spending money on a good coastal navigation course. The knowledge you gain there will help you better decide what navigation equipment is right for you and how you use your boat. Coastal pilotage, dead reckoning and other skills should be in your navigation tool kit before adding GPS IMHO.

Also, the Mark I Eyeball is usually your best and most important navigation tool.

I'd point out that using a chartplotter in the fog can be a serious mistake. While it is better than nothing, unless you've used those charts in clear weather, you will not know if there are any inaccuracies that can get you into trouble. Just like when using the waypoints off of a chart kit, you need to check that the charts are accurate for your sailing area before relying on them in limited visibility conditions.

Also remember, the icon on the chartplotter screen is NOT YOUR BOAT's LOCATION. It is a graphical representation of where you boat may be located on a cartographer's interpretation of the real world that may or may not be complete or accurate, and subject to the possible inaccuracies of the GPS satellite system. There may be times where that accuracy is reasonable, say ±30 '... and time when it is not, say ±300'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-16-2010

sck5 is on a distinguished road
no matter how accurate the plotter is, it wont tell you where other boats are in the fog
Old 12-16-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

Also, the Mark I Eyeball is usually your best and most important navigation tool.

If i have had Lasik, do I not now have the Mark II Eyeball?
Old 12-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Depends on how good the surgeon was. A bad one, you might end up with Mark 0.1 eyeballs. In bad cases people with poorly done Lasik procedures can have issues with glare and such at night.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-16-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I used to think radar wasnt necessary until the day I got stuck in a pea soup fog in the middle of chesapeake bay with boats and ships all around that I could hear but not see. I wouldnt sail in a fog prone place like Maine without it, though you could get away without it in other places. I wouldnt want to rely on DR in a place with major tidal currents and fog. People do it but they are braver than I am (or maybe they have more insurance)
The combination of a chartplotter with a radar overlay is probably the best navigation tool you can have on board whether in fog or clear weather. The radar is the best confirmation of the accuracy of the chartplotter. Very nice in the fog. If I had to chose between losing the radar or chartplotter I'd rather have the radar working in Maine fog.
Old 12-18-2010

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
Until a year ago, I had never used a gps or chartplotter and didn't see much use for them on a boat. I sail over most of the Chesapeake where most sailing is line of sight. I used a little B&W handheld Garmin once in the fog and it allowed me to back out of my anchorage. Last spring I purchased a Garmin 441 and I love it. I now see numerous uses I never saw before. No, it doesn't replace charts or other basic tools of navigation (especially common sense including looking where you are going). But it is a fantastic tool.
I also purchased the new Garmin software "Homeport" that I loaded on my laptop. Homeport includes the Basemaps. I had to transfer the bluemap charts onto a thumb drive that I plug into my laptop to get the charts. The whole thing is a little cumbersome but it does give you a clear picture of the difference between the basemaps and the bluecharts. The bluecharts are much more detailed (depths, land and water features, etc.). The 441 came with the charts preloaded and I can't imagine having a unit that didn't have them.
harbin2
Old 12-21-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
No, what you have is the MKI Mod.1. The MKII is digital and is still in beta testing with the DARPA.
Old 12-21-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbin2 View Post
Until a year ago, I had never used a gps or chartplotter and didn't see much use for them on a boat. I sail over most of the Chesapeake where most sailing is line of sight. snip...The bluecharts are much more detailed (depths, land and water features, etc.). The 441 came with the charts preloaded and I can't imagine having a unit that didn't have them.
harbin2
I'm also a Chesapeake sailor and my experience is similar. I got a deal on a Lowrance unit with 5" color screen that came with a free enhanced chart of US waters. I think its similar to the 5" Garmin that comes with loaded Bluechart mapping. I use a paper chartbook for planning, seeing "the big picture" and often refer to it when entering a new river/cove/anchorage. I use the chartplotter as primary during the "enroute" phase of my travels and find its often handy to help determine when to tack. Here on the Chesapeake, its good to have a screen large enough to show some detail when zoomed out to 10-15 miles so you can zoom out far enough to see when you can tack to round the next point and still see the depths so you know its ok for your draft.

It's also a great help in making decsions about the days destination. A chartplotter does a great job of reminding you if your speed made good isn't going to get you to your intended destination in an acceptable time frame so you can start thinking of a "Plan B" lest you have to enter an unfamilar anchorage at night although a mistake here on the Chessy is only likely to result in sticking your keel in the mud, vs smacking a rock or reef.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 12-21-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.