SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Rigging (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/69864-rigging.html)

gerryB37 11-13-2010 07:07 AM

Rigging

I returned from a summer in Colorado to find that my rigging was, out of tune. The cap shrouds were tighter than before and my lowers were," Loose as a Goose". She's a Bavaria 37 with Selden spars, double swept spreaders, fractional sloop rig.
I retensioned the rig using the "Folding Rule" method as described at the Selden site.
During my test sail the boat sails much faster,(almost a full knot) on a starboard tack. What have I done wrong?????
Please advise...Thanks Gerry

RocketScience 11-13-2010 11:47 AM

This may sound too obvious, but my first starting point would be to check whether or not the mast is perpendicular athwartships.

You can check this by using an adjusted main halyard as a measuring tool down to identical points on both sides of the boat. You must be careful however to apply identical tension to the halyard when doing so.

gerryB37 11-13-2010 04:14 PM

Thanks Rob,
I backed off the tension and plumbed the stick using the halyard. Getting the identical tension the same on each side is a guess at best. While I was jumping from side to side, I thought of an "old school way"..... Tape something heavy to the halyard, (3lb sledge) and plumb it ???
Thanks again, Gerry

mitiempo 11-13-2010 05:34 PM

Gerry
Plumbing it will only work if you absolutely know the boat is level.

RocketScience 11-14-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryB37 (Post 666398)
Thanks Rob,
I backed off the tension and plumbed the stick using the halyard...

Just out of curiosity, how much was it off initially (in inches)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryB37 (Post 666398)
While I was jumping from side to side, I thought of an "old school way"..... Tape something heavy to the halyard, (3lb sledge) and plumb it ???
Thanks again, Gerry

What Brian said. :)

DelmarRey 11-14-2010 11:05 PM

My question is; How did your shrouds get out of adjustment? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think I'd be checking out the chain plates or mast step before going too far. The mast could be coming down soon.

gerryB37 11-15-2010 05:53 AM

Thanks to all for your interest....
Ya....When I noticed the change in tension, I too had a SINKING feeling....I inspected the chain plates with tension off....all is well. The step looked good with pin in place. It may have something to do with the rebuild of my rodkicker. I replaced the piston, and now the boom is supported by the rodkicker rather than my topping lift, (dutchman furling).

Rob you were spot on....I was @2" out of plumb as measured by the halyard.

This is what I ended up doing....
Screwed an eye hook in the end of a 3lbs sledge and attached it to my halyard, then centered the stick from index marks on my toe rail measured from the roller furling fitting. Raised the halyard and plumbed it....dead on, so now I know she sits level...
No wind today on Charlotte Harbor, but tomorrow we'll have 10-12 out of the south, high of 84. Will get back to ya...Thanks again Gerry

gerryB37 11-16-2010 07:09 PM

I sailed today in 15-20kts...I adjusted the lee side shrouds,(both cap and lowers) but the boats performance was the same on either tack. Thanks to all for the advise.
Anybody selling a good LOOS guage?????????

jrd22 11-16-2010 08:04 PM

Instead of the 3lb sledge on the end of the halyard just use a 100' tape and raise it up tight with a halyard, no guessing on the tension.