SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Propeller question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/69892-propeller-question.html)

pegasus1457 11-14-2010 05:20 PM

Propeller question

I have an older Martec folding prop on my Pearson 32. It has always been difficult to back down using it. It takes almost a minute before it decides which direction to move in.. Then, at the end of this season it developed a new quirk -- it would only go in wide circles in reverse. I suspected barnacle invasion, but had no time to dive on it before the boat was hauled. Inspecting the prop after the yard hauled and power washed, there is no heavy barnacle growth left.

I am considering having the prop refurbished, and as an alternative, replacing it. I have heard good reports on the Campbell Sailor.

Does anyone have experience with the Campbell Sailor? How does it behave in reverse?

JimsCAL 11-15-2010 07:04 AM

I've lived with two different boats over the past 20+ years with Martec folders. While backing is not their strong suit, I've got no complaints. Generally giving a short burst of reverse gets the boat backing fine. Are you getting vibrations (means blades aren't opening fully)? Martec folders do need to be reconditioned periodically due to wear in the pivot pin area. Cost is in the $200 area.

jrd22 11-15-2010 09:57 AM

I've got a three blade CSailor. It walks pretty hard to port when you initially put it in reverse, a short burst of power gets us moving enough to sort of straighten it out. Good power in reverse, not nearly the stopping power of an Autoprop that we had on another boat, but pretty good. The blades on the Sailor are much narrower than a regular fixed prop so the drag is less, but also the thrust, especially at low rpms it seems. I'm very happy with it and there is nothing to go wrong, I would buy an Autoprop though if I felt like spending the money.

pegasus1457 11-15-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 666809)
I've lived with two different boats over the past 20+ years with Martec folders. While backing is not their strong suit, I've got no complaints. Generally giving a short burst of reverse gets the boat backing fine. Are you getting vibrations (means blades aren't opening fully)? Martec folders do need to be reconditioned periodically due to wear in the pivot pin area. Cost is in the $200 area.

It takes more than a short burst of power in reverse before I have control of where we are going. I normally do this out in the channel before entering the alley where my slip is located, in order to avoid hitting anything :D

But there has never been any vibration, and in forward I have absolutely no complaints.

As for refurbishing, there is a number 931086 stamped on the hub whose format does not resemble what is on the Martec info page, but I suspect that this number means that the prop is vintage 1993, and guessing from the way other systems on this boat have been maintained by the POs, it has never been refurbished. So maybe it is time...

Thanks for the reply.