SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   deck stepped Seidelmann 299 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/69936-deck-stepped-seidelmann-299-a.html)

npronpro 11-16-2010 06:55 AM

deck stepped Seidelmann 299

Has anyone had to repair or do maintenance on a deck stepped Seidelmann 299? I have just recently had some compression of the deck near the mast with two deep cracks.

JimsCAL 11-16-2010 07:07 AM

Not familiar with that particular boat, but you have a serious issue that needs to be addressed. For certain the deck cracks mean water has gotten in and you have wet core. Is there a compression post in the cabin under the mast or is the load carried by a bulkhead? In either case, is sounds like there has been some loss of structure which has allowed to mast to distort the deck and cause the cracks. That needs to be fixed and then some work to cut open the deck at the cracks and replace the wet core.

npronpro 11-16-2010 07:09 AM

There are two wood members below the mast - one that is approximately 2x4 and one that is approx 1x5 and they are side by side for additional strength.

npronpro 11-16-2010 07:12 AM

There are 2 pieces of vertical wooden support members under the mast (at the corner of the enclosed head/shower). One is approx 2x4 and the other 1x5 inches and they were butted closed to each other but are twisting apart - about 1/4" apart as of now.

zz4gta 11-16-2010 12:27 PM

Is there anyway you can get pics? Sounds like you need to rebuild the step and compression post.

npronpro 11-16-2010 12:43 PM

Unless I open something up, you/I can't see anything other than 2 big cracks about 6" long going from opposite sides of the mast on the cabin top; can't see anything even if you peel back the liner.

I did get an interesting suggestion to put two 1/4 inch aluminum plates along opposite sides of the compression post.

This still leaves open the question of whether there is any damage to the plate or whatever Seidelmann put at the base of the mast and above the compression post (that goes down to the keel).

Thanks for your interest.

IF, IF I have to rebuild the step how does that happen? I'm assuming the mast has to be lifted up first? then cut open the cabin top, rebuild the plate, then put mast down and reglass the top?

JimsCAL 11-16-2010 04:48 PM

Based on the information given, it sounds like the wooden pieces making up the compression post are unable to carry the mast load and allowing the deck to distort. It looks like you need to unstep the mast, repair/rebuild/replace the compression post, and then repair the deck.

headcaseracer 05-13-2011 10:40 PM

There are a couple ways to do this. The first and best way would be to remove the mast and the deck plate. Let it dry out and see how much permanent damage you have. If there is no damage, you need to at minimum replace the wooden posts under the mast. If there is damage to to the deck, there are two ways to fix it. The first and hardest is to cut that area out and reglass a new area in. The second way is to have a custom deck plate made that is at least twice as big to help support the weight on the deck.

GaryHLucas 05-14-2011 07:55 PM

And it could be a lot worse, like the hull is delaminating and has moved downward! The first boat I had with that problem was a 1976 Hunter 27. My current boat with that problem is a 1984 Etap 26. So yes this is a real possibility. I fixed them both, HUGE job!

Gary H. Lucas

npronpro 05-16-2011 09:41 AM

fix

I found out that ribs under the compression post had some rot and that is why the mast was slipping downwards - I jacked up the roof of the cabin on both sides of the compression post and took out the rotten rib and replaced it with new ribs and some aluminum plates. Everything is nice and strong now.