SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

solar powered vent

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dhays 
#1 ·
I have a 4" hole in the forward center deck of my c30 had a vent or something there at one time. I was thinking about a solar powered vent to put there could anyone tell me if this is a good idea and if so who makes the a good vent.

#2 · (Edited)
A solar vent is not a bad idea.. helps to keep the air moving and that's all good. Such a vent on the foredeck, however is a bit dodgy.. not sure any of these things are truly watertight and an unexpected wave could get the berth wet under some conditions.

Some people carry a deck plate too and remove the vent and put in the plate while underway to deal with that issue.. but it's another chore that you'll likely forget one day....

However if it is to be located on the foredeck be sure to get a SS one rather than a plastic one so that accidentally stepping on it isn't going to damage it so easily. Any marine supplier should be able to get you one....Like this:

#8 ·
They leak, huh? I've been thinking about installing one in my head, which is directly aft of the V-berth. If I get a little water in the head from a wave, that's ok, but if it's a lot of water or if it also leaks when it rains, that's a no-go. Do you know if some brands are less leaky than others?

#9 ·
if it also leaks when it rains
I've installed 2 or 3 Nicro Solar 24/7 vents in my last 5 boats and they DO NOT LEAK in the rain - even driven rain and wave spray that was reaching me back in the cockpit. The only problem I have ever had was with one in/on a forward sloping forward hatch that when waves broke on the bow the water rolled up the slope - just like a beach - and Under the protective cover. If I had pulled out the vent and replaced it with the supplied deck plate Before bashing into steep waves there would have been no leakage. Since then I have now switched to the Nicro 24/7's with the sleeve that slides up and down to totally block out water. I also have never caught one with a genoa sheet - the hatch that is was in yes - but never the vent itself. Of course every boat and every person has gone through different situations but those are mine.

#10 ·
I am not understanding why someone would put a 4" hole in a deck. Dorads okay, if you can plug in heavy weather. The problem I see is if you go upside down that's alot of water that can get in. I won't even mention core problems if not installed correctly. All this for a little air that a porthole provides when needed. I would glass it and fair it then gelcoat it. Just me.

#16 ·
Based on your username, I'm assuming that you spend a lot of time in open water. However, many of the rest of us don't, and adequate ventilation with deck top vents isn't a problem.

#11 ·
i have a plastic solar vent that came with the boat. i like the fact that the fan is always going to keep humidity out . it is on the cabin top. i have to keep a 5 gallon pail on the table under it when i leave the boat because when it rains some water will leak in.

#13 ·
I've got two Nicro solar vents, the older more expensive model that came with a bronze deck ring, and they don't leak at all. Been running for close to FIVE years now too.

#14 ·
Does anyone have experience with these installed on hatchboards? Does the reduced exposure to sunlight from being vertical or facing away from the sun certain times of day make a big difference in their operation?

Regarding water ingress from it being vertical I was planning on installing a small hood above it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.