SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Favorite Books on Basic Boat Maintenance?

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  seashine 
#1 ·
Everyone is beginning to ask me what I really want for Christmas. My husband and I are getting closer to purchasing our first boat, so I'd like to begin reading on basic maintenance.

Anyone have a favorite good, practical book (or books) about getting things done? There are quite a few out there, so I am particularly interested in those that have actually come in handy, especially for someone who doesn't already know the basics.

#3 ·
Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual and This Old Boat as well as the book above.

#5 ·
Don Casey is definitely the king of this genre. I have a bunch of his books.

Ferenc Mate wrote a book called shipshape that also describes a lot of the same thing in this old boat. I find it handy to have two sources, with two descriptions of the same technique to have a full understanding of how to go about it. Either that or I really like having a lot of books.

#8 ·
Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair by Nigel Calder. All of Nigel Calder's books are very technical. This book goes into detail about specific problems encountered in marine applications for the diesel engine plus instruction on just about all aspects of engine work including bearing and piston problems an automotive machinist wound encounter. If a person is handy with tools, this book and the engine maintenance manual (shop manual) specific to the engine in your boat would allow a person to do a complete rebuild. The only thing I could ad is the requirement of absolute cleanliness of engine and parts when doing engine assembly, as dirt half the thickness of a sheet of paper will imbed in bearings and cause accelerated wear.

#11 ·
You can never go wrong with a good plan! :D

#13 ·
Ditto Calder's book - it's all in there bar the actual hull. So when you know what the hull and deck material will be, get a book specifically about that material and how to repair it! If it's timber or ply then the $6.55(AU) spent on the WEST SYSTEM's book "Wooden boat restoration and repair" will be worth 1000s to you :) I also recommend "Ready to Sail" by Ed Mapes as a useful read prior to buying a yacht, as it will help focus your mind on things to look for and also to look out for in your new boat. We made a checklist using his end of chapter lists (plus our own stuff, it's not c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y comprehensive): this made comparing different yachts a cinch. You wouldn't need it on board though, whereas Nigel Calder's book and something about your hull/deck material definitely deserve shelf space :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.