Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-24-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
The rescue of Seasmoke...

Those of you that followed the rescue thread of Kettenburg K-40 hull # 3, will remember this boat. We currently have taken possession of Ianne, formerly Seasmoke, to prevent her destruction and are actively looking for a sponsor(s) for the old girl. She was commissioned by James Arness of "Gunsmoke" fame (Marshall Matt Dillon to western buffs) and is a soon to be sound classic wooden dual headsailed sloop with a pedigree. She won the Newport to Ensenada race in 1961 under the command of Arness and competed successfully for years thereafter, until traded in for the first K-50 off the Kettenburg line. she is sloop rigged with split backstays and has a running (quite well apparently) Nissan 4 cylinder 75 HP diesel. She will arrive at our yard after Thanksgiving for restoration to the joy of some fortunate but as yet unknown benefactor. Here are some photos of her in her current condition. As you can she, she needs cosmetic help and hasn't been cleaned up as yet.

Port bow:

Starboard bow:

Foredeck:

Looking aft:

note the opening bronze port forward...

Looking aft over the house:

note the mid-boom traveller.

Cockpit:

note the lazerette hatch.

Cockpit detail:

note the four drains and latching hatches.

Cabin looking forward:

The layout is similar to the Lady J.

Engine:

It ran well enough to motor from Santa Barbara to Ventura without issues.

Galley:

That's a fairly new four burner propane stove and oven and she has refrigeration.

Nav/Quarterberth

Nav table folded down.

Starboard settee:

Port settee:

The Port settee is banquet shaped with a drop down table to make a double berth. Starboard is a straight settee that makes a double as well.

Offshore modified aft port:

If you look at the Lady J, you'll note the large, rather unseaworthy salon ports that would not stand up to a boarding sea. Seasmoke's port were modified and are all opening bronze ports.

V-Berth shelving:

these are very deep with fiddles.

Holding tank and head plumbing:

Aft of house:

Control details:

That's all I have at the moment. We didn't clear any of the clutter before taking photos. As far as I can tell, she has three bad ribs and a bad section of planking, probably from a strike as both ends of the missing section have no rot. We intend to start working on her soonest. Please pass the word so we can finish the resurrection of this fine old classic yacht.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Sweet!

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 11-24-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
CC - That is friken awesome! Can't wait to see her all cleaned up and ready to go. Are you going to set up a donation link or anything? Not independantly wealthy but it would be nice to help in some way.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Man, glad you got it Charlie!

Are there any old pictures of this girl in her prime? So is this a sister ship to lady J or Oh Joy?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 11-24-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
My Mother's first cousin (what is that to me?), was also on Gunsmoke. He played Newlie (sp?). He didn't appear in every episode, but many.

What does benevolent benefactor mean? Looking for someone to pay commercial rates to restore and own or will this be a charitable museum piece with sponsors? What do you expect the investment to be?
Old 11-24-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
CC - That is friken awesome! Can't wait to see her all cleaned up and ready to go. Are you going to set up a donation link or anything? Not independantly wealthy but it would be nice to help in some way.
Not sure yet. I'm gonna give it a few weeks to see if someone steps up for her first. Maybe after that.

Old 11-24-2010
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Man, glad you got it Charlie!

Are there any old pictures of this girl in her prime? So is this a sister ship to lady J or Oh Joy?
Lady J's sister.

Old 11-24-2010
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My Mother's first cousin (what is that to me?), was also on Gunsmoke. He played Newlie (sp?). He didn't appear in every episode, but many.

What does benevolent benefactor mean? Looking for someone to pay commercial rates to restore and own or will this be a charitable museum piece with sponsors? What do you expect the investment to be?
Depending on the response, probably the former first. Our commercial rates for restoration are quite a bit less than most places. For those who have followed the Lady J and know how much work we've done, that project is currently at 52K or about half or less than any other restoration shop I know of. Based on what I saw and things I expect to find as we go, the restoration should be between 25-45K. If no other hidden damage is found, likely the lower number. I suppose we could set up a foundation for Seasmoke should we fail to find an owner for her but I'm thinking she needs somebody to love and enjoy her as much as the original owner did. I remember Newlie. He was the shop owner right?

Old 11-24-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Newly O'brien (Buck Taylor) was a deputy. I think his character came in to replace Festus. The boat is simply breath-taking. Proof that class is timeless. Can't wait to see her restored.
Old 11-25-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Interesting interior bits

Thanks for posting all the pics.
I have not seen such tall fiddles in V berth shelves before. They look useful.
Our boat has shelves down each side with 2" fiddles and stuff fall off on every tack.

What does the group think about those tall fiddles?

Thanks,
LB