Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-27-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Dorade Boxes?

On to my next project:

All of the exterior teak looks like hell.

The boat came with two teak dorade boxes with plexiglass tops for the two four inch diameter cowls. The teak here looks like it was put on, 30 years ago, and ignored ever since. I pulled one off to see what I could do, and am considering tossing them and replacing with fiberglass.
Here is a close-up of the mate to the box seen above;

and here is the inside of the box AFTER I cleaned the crud out...

So if I toss 'em, where could I get a new Fiberglass one? No one seems to carry Fiberglass Dorade Boxes big enough to handle a 4" cowl on line.

Could I fiberglass over these? I am afraid that if I sand them to get to clean wood that I will have a paper box. The teak is solid, but dirty, dried out and checked...

Thanks in advance for opinions and pointers!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2010
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
I've restored worse looking teak than that. I think with a good sanding and the coating of your choice (varnish, 2-part, honey teak, oil, etc.) it will look just fine and save you some cash.
Old 11-27-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I guess that I have nothing to loose....

So if I refinish them, I'll need some bungs for the screw holes. No problem there..

I will also want to PAINT the INSIDE of the dorade box white in order to maximize the length of time that they can go before a complete re-finish again. Also, some light comes in through the plexi top, and I may as well maximize this "feature." Any recommendations /tips?

I've read elsewhere that washing w/ denatured alcohol, and then 1 or 2 coats of EasyPoxy is the way to go.

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-27-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ED--

If you're going to paint them, you might as well epoxy coat the interior of the boxes and then paint over the epoxy. For that matter, you could easily epoxy coat the whole thing and then paint the interior and varnish the exterior. That would seal the wood far better than varnish or paint alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-27-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I've been a big fan of dorades for a long time. They're simple, keep 99% of the water out of they're properly designed, give a good amount of air to the boat, and can really spruce up your boat.

I'm not exactly pleased with the plexi top but as you've found out, dorade boxes have either been incorporated into the cabin tops or eliminated. So, if the dorades work, and they look butt ugly here's what I suggest:

Carefully look at the plexi top making sure it's in good condition, well secured and sealed. Make sure the teak is dry, inside and ouy. I'd remove the plexi top and sand the teak with 120 then 220 grit sandpaper. Apply a few coats of varnish, inside and out, and reattach the plexi along with a bit of clear silicone to keep it water tight.

You don't indicate if the dorades leak but since you've got the dorades off, I'd check the splash tube for cracks, leaks, or age.

I don't see a drain (on mine the drains about 1/2" x 1" on the aft outboard side of the box. That way any water that the dorade vent collects runs out rather than down into the cabin. I'd make sure the edges of the box are snug to the cabin top or you may get more water in than the drain can take out.

Finally, I'd look for dorade covers. In heavy weather I'll removed the vents and screw in the caps (looks like yours don't screw in), blocking any water from being ingested by the vents (or you can turn them 180 degrees from either the wind or course).

I've been on the hook during some tropical deluges with all the hatches and ports closed. I got a nice breeze and no water from my dorades. I think they're well worth the couple of hours to bring them back to bragging condition. Oh, and I'd see about finding a spare dorade vent. I know of a couple that have grown feet.