SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Deck Core Replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/70300-deck-core-replacement.html)

StormBay 11-29-2010 11:19 AM

Deck Core Replacement

Does anyone know of a good yard in Annapolis that they could recommend for core replacement for a deck and cabin top?

We're looking to buy Hans Christian 38 in the Annapolis area that seems to have a wet core throughout most of the cabin top and in parts of the side deck. Just trying to get a quote or an idea of the cost involved in something like this, we know it's very expensive :eek: , but a more solid number would help in pricing our offer. Any feedback/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

tommays 11-29-2010 12:13 PM

I will be interested in the price you get and if they use epoxy as just doing the forward 8' of my Cal used over 6 gallons plus a load of 10oz cloth

Hard to believe it would work out if that much area is involved

RichH 11-29-2010 12:21 PM

Try Hartge's in Deltaville.

I just did the teak decks on a very similar boat and would 'guesstimate' based on my time and materials that just replacement of the deck coring would be in the neighborhood of $12-14K for a yard to do this. LOTs of 'work' involved. But, I also did a careful removal of the teak strakes and re-laminated them down after re-coring.

sailordave 11-29-2010 02:39 PM

Hartge's is in GALESVILLE, MD.
And the YACHT YARD moved from their long time location due to family squabbles. The marina is under new management. All the workers are w/ the newly relocated Yacht Yard...

I'd be interested in hearing more about this boat via PM. I almost looked at both HC 38's that are for sale in Annap.

RichH 11-29-2010 03:10 PM

Oooops momentary 'dame brammage' definitely not Deltaville, but Galesville.

Also, suggest Jabins Yacht Yard on Back Creek in Annapolis. Dont have a handle on their relative pricing but there is a fellow there who does 'fantastic' / top-notch FRG work.

StormBay 11-29-2010 04:41 PM

thanks every one!
I have found Hartge's website, and will give them a call tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes. As for Jabins Yacht Yard, from there website it looks like they are a diy yard that also has privite contractors around, so do you by any chance know the name of the guy who does the top-notch FRG work?

RichH 11-29-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormBay (Post 671844)
ow it goes. As for Jabins Yacht Yard, from there website it looks like they are a diy yard that also has privite contractors around, so do you by any chance know the name of the guy who does the top-notch FRG work?

The name of the person in the Annap area is: First Mate Yacht Services,
George Prosser 410-267-7782 His gel and FRG restoration work is 'impressive'.