Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-30-2010

andantesail is on a distinguished road
Bilge Pump Mystery

Suddenly my bilge pump won't pump out the last few (=/- 8 inches) of water, thus leaving the float switch on. I've replaced the pump (checking polarity) the problem persists. Switched back to the other pump. Same thing. I've used a water hose to shoot water up the exit hose and out the thru hull. Still have the problem. I'm flat out of ideas other than to replace the exit hose, but I don't find any leaks in the current one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Karl
Andante PSC 34 #276
"Andante" PSC 34 #276
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the impeller has broken free of the hub, is slipping on the spindle, or is missing some blades, you might have this problem. When the water is higher, it requires less pressure from the pump to move it, since the water outside the pump, in the bilge, is adding pressure to the hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-30-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If the impeller has broken free of the hub, is slipping on the spindle, or is missing some blades, you might have this problem. When the water is higher, it requires less pressure from the pump to move it, since the water outside the pump, in the bilge, is adding pressure to the hose.
. . . . . but the pump has been replaced . . . . .

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Has he checked the voltage at the pump end of the wiring? If the voltage is low, you'd have similar issues.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-30-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Maybe you had a one way valve in the hose that has gone bad letting the water in the hoses drain back down, but I would think that the pump would shut off at least until the water level hit the switch level.

Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Maybe you had a one way valve in the hose that has gone bad letting the water in the hoses drain back down, but I would think that the pump would shut off at least until the water level hit the switch level.
If the impeller isn't spinning fast enough, the centrifugal type pumps, which most small integrated submersible bilge pumps are, aren't going to push water very well. The fact that he's changed pumps and that there isn't a problem with water going through the hose, makes me think it is voltage related.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-30-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
That's kind of what I was thinking Rem, that maybe the vented loop was plugged before, creating a siphon out of the bilge at the end of the pump cycle, but now it's allowing the water in the hose to drain back into the bilge. If the pump runs continuously though I can't figure why it wouldn't pull the level down to where it would shut off until the water drained back in.

Edit- SD, you are probably on the right track. Low voltage would drastically reduce pump performance.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-30-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Many pumps have a maximum lift spec. Could the difference be higher than that? When the bilge is heavy with water, the pressure will generally ovecome the lift difference or worn pump parts.

Old 11-30-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Bad float switch, or is that built into the pump?
Old 12-01-2010
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Check valve stuck shut?