SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Outboard Bracket Issue (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/70370-outboard-bracket-issue.html)

YeahJohn 12-02-2010 12:39 PM

Outboard Bracket Issue

My outboard bracket keeps on snapping my fuel line or fuel line connector every other time I go out. It seems that whenever I tilt the motor all the way back to lower it the handle of the bracket hits the fuel line. Do I just have a bad bracket or is there something that I am missing? I guess I could disconnect the fuel line each time I raise and lower the motor but that seems like a pretty bad work around. Please help.

tommays 12-02-2010 01:26 PM

I never leave the fuel line on ?

Faster 12-02-2010 01:28 PM

You might be able to add some spacers between the motor plate and the bracket to create some extra clearance there, or shift the plate higher on the bracket.. (though this might cause earlier prop cavitation so watch out for that)

I've seen this problem before, often when the motor is tilted up for sailing.. While disconnecting the fuel line can be a PITA, it may be the most sensible tactic.

sailingdog 12-02-2010 01:33 PM

photos of the bracket and outboard in question would be helpful. Sounds like a poorly designed bracket, but without more information, it is hard to say. Also, might want to say what make/model bracket and outboard you have.

YeahJohn 12-02-2010 02:24 PM

4 Stroke Auxiliary Outboard Brackets Bracket, 15 1/2" Vertical Lift, 7.5hp 25hp Rating This is the bracket. It is a nice bracket but the handle gets in the way. I have a 15hp Mariner. It is the original outboard electronic start setup for the boat. Are there any issues with disconnecting the fuel line all of the time? Where do you store the fuel line when the motor is up and you are sailing?

John

tommays 12-02-2010 03:11 PM

The whole fuel locker thing is a bit new on outboard sailboats and if you have and older boat like my J24 you put the tank and line in the lazaret in a way that it cant MOVE no matter WHAT

OR if its on deck the tank should have a strap so it cant MOVE

In my class when your racing you have to remove the motor and stow inside the boat in a class legal manner

YeahJohn 12-02-2010 03:34 PM

My boat has a split lazarette/fuel locker for the fuel tank. The tank is up off the hull and the lazarette continues below the fuel storage area, for extra storage. The tank is the same size as the locker so it does not move. the fuel line runs from the tank through the locker then the transom and to the outboard. The I am just concerned that unplugging the fuel line all of the time may eventually cause wear or I may even break a part while at sea... it doesn't seem like the most convenient option.

John

Ulladh 12-02-2010 04:03 PM

Maybe a longer fuel line or more fuel line outside the transom and a bungee strap to hold the line clear.