Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I've posted the link so many times, I'm not going to do it again

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
hellosailor,

Yes, that's right. And, you probably saw that on one of my posts elsewhere :-))

The earliest Valiant 40s were fine, beginning with hull #1. I don't remember the exact hull number when the resin was switched, but it was about 1979-80 timeframe. All hulls built after the switch, and through hull #249, had the POTENTIAL to blister badly. And, with the V40s, we're not talking about normal blistering. These were humongous blisters, some on the decks and trunk cabin as well as the hull.

How do I know this? Because a close friend had a lovely V40...maybe the best one afloat the way he kept it...that developed bad blisters. He was part of a class-action suit which dragged on for years. It was heartbreaking to witness.

In early 1989 I was looking for a non-blister Valiant 40. I traveled to NC and looked at Blaine's lovely "Stormy Petrel", hull #249, which he'd protected by putting coal tar epoxy on the bottom. This was the last "blister boat" built by Uniflite. After agonizing over the potential for major blisters to develop, expecially as I planned to cruise to the Caribbean and keep the boat there for a decade or so, I passed on that Valiant.

The first boats built after hull #249 did, occasionally, develop some blistering of the type many boats experience. No serious problem. Later, a new process was adopted which, I believe, has all but eliminated even these blisters. The new Valiant 42 built in Texas (actually a V40 with a small bowsprit, built from the same mold) is arguably the best world cruising sailboat in its class.

If I remember correctly, John Krechmer (sp?) of Atlantic Yachts published a treatise on the V40s...no doubt a Google search would turn it up.

Bill
Old 10-09-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I love GoLikeafish's comment!

The fact is (talk to any surveyor) that a lot of boats older than 15 years have some blistering; no matter where they are kept, if they were pulled for the winter, etc. And after you spend all that money (probably $25,000+ or more for a 42') to have someone do it for you, there is no guarantee that it won’t happen again in a few years, even if they say 5 years (read the fine print!) I have seen several that have been done professionally and they look great. For a 26 year old boat worth about $60,00I couldn’t see spending 1/3 of the value on a bottom job.

Here how I did mine and I’m sure several people will comment on what is wrong...but I'm sailing and loving life:

- had the hull sodablast by a professional
- let it dry for several months, pressure washing it every couple of weeks.
- sanded ALL the remaining bottom paint off
- ground out the large blisters
- filled and faired everything with West System- added filler
- 6 applications of epoxy barrier coat
- 2 black bottom paint and 1 blue

I spent about $2000.00 total and involved about 60 hours (not including lunch breaks) Its been in the water since July 06, I'll pull it in the spring, we'll see.

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-22-2009 at 07:32 PM.