Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Pete:

SH has announced a new VHF AIS model, their Matrix 2150

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Standard Horizon 2011, new everything!
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2010
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Pete:

SH has announced a new VHF AIS model, their Matrix 2150

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Standard Horizon 2011, new everything!
Thanks! Can anyone summarize what noteworthy features the 2150 includes not provided by the 2100?
Pete
Old 12-17-2010

zibadun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Thanks! Can anyone summarize what noteworthy features the 2150 includes not provided by the 2100?
Pete
from what i read the main update is to the NMEA setup so all communication with the chart plotter can happen over just one port. Also 2150 allows selecting True or Magnetic bearing display and may be has a couple of other minor updates.

There is no NMEA 2000 but looks like that is not a big deal. I'd rather have old nmea at a reasonable price than outrageously expensive n2k unit (like garmin 300 VHF AIS which costs at least twice as much)

Last edited by zibadun; 12-17-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibadun View Post
from what i read the main update is to the NMEA setup so all communication with the chart plotter can happen over just one port.
I've read what I could find on the gx2150 and still don't understand the significance of the NMEA upgrade. As far as I knew the gx2100 could be interfaced with the Garmin 441s without problems with both gps location and DSC on a single NMEA port. The AIS data from gx2100 to 441s requires a second port, but that seems to remain the same. Does anyone understand exactly how the NMEA has been improved with an example of what benefit it offers? Thanks
Pete
Old 12-18-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've read what I could find on the gx2150 and still don't understand the significance of the NMEA upgrade. As far as I knew the gx2100 could be interfaced with the Garmin 441s without problems with both gps location and DSC on a single NMEA port. The AIS data from gx2100 to 441s requires a second port, but that seems to remain the same. Does anyone understand exactly how the NMEA has been improved with an example of what benefit it offers? Thanks
Pete
Pete:

Tim Flanagan over at Navagear shares some info here
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 12-18-2010
Beneteau 411

This article attempts to explain the NMEA upgrade a bit better than the reference above:
New Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF/AIS/loudhailer: A winner, for sure

This seems to be the most enlightening part of the above article:
Quote:
All the NMEA data between the Matrix unit and whatever chartplotter you might own is aggregated into a single high-speed port.
As I understand it, both the gx2100 and gx2150 have 3 types of NMEA data: gps input, DSC output, and AIS output. Apparently the two outputs can now be combined together by selecting the same Baud rate for each. This was not possible before since DSC out ran at 4800 Baud and AIS at 38400 Baud. Can anyone agree or disagree with this interpretation? Of course, the chartplotter must be capable of interpreting both DSC and AIS on the single NMEA port if my assumptions are true. My guess is that this is a firmware upgrade which did not require a change to hardware. If true, I wonder if it's possible to upgrade existing gx2100's? Looks like I have more questions than answers!
Pete
Old 12-18-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Pete:

Tim Flanagan over at Navagear shares some info here
Looks like we were posting at exactly the same time! That's the same reference I cited above. Thanks
Pete
Old 12-18-2010

zibadun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As I understand it, both the gx2100 and gx2150 have 3 types of NMEA data: gps input, DSC output, and AIS output. Apparently the two outputs can now be combined together by selecting the same Baud rate for each. This was not possible before since DSC out ran at 4800 Baud and AIS at 38400 Baud. Can anyone agree or disagree with this interpretation? Of course, the chartplotter must be capable of interpreting both DSC and AIS on the single NMEA port if my assumptions are true. My guess is that this is a firmware upgrade which did not require a change to hardware. If true, I wonder if it's possible to upgrade existing gx2100's? Looks like I have more questions than answers!
Pete
this is my understanding as well - it has a high speed bidirectional COM port which receives gps position and transmits aggregated ais/dsc info.
Old 12-18-2010
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibadun View Post
this is my understanding as well - it has a high speed bidirectional COM port which receives gps position and transmits aggregated ais/dsc info.
Thanks. The upgrade does not affect me since I had planned to go with the Garmin 441s which has two NMEA ports. Guess it would be a welcome addition to those with older one port chart plotters. I wonder if those older chart plotters can pull both DSC and AIS data off the single port?
Pete
Old 01-01-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thanks. The upgrade does not affect me since I had planned to go with the Garmin 441s which has two NMEA ports. Guess it would be a welcome addition to those with older one port chart plotters. I wonder if those older chart plotters can pull both DSC and AIS data off the single port?
Pete
One other case would be people who have a separate depth sounder that they want to feed into the plotter by NMEA. Now you have three inputs (depth, DSC, and AIS) with two available inputs (like with the Garmin 640 that I am considering), so two of them need to be combined.

If the GX2150 multiplexes the two (and I'm not 100% sure it really does due to some of the weasel words in the descriptions), it could make things a lot easier and may avoid the need to buy a multiplexer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-18-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.