Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Best AIS receiver for the buck

I'm about to outfit a 34 foot sailboat for offshore cruising. It would seem that being able to receive AIS data would be a nice safety feature. The receiver should probably have dual receivers and have the ability to share the VHF antenna with the VHF radio antenna. Also, it should offer NMEA 0183 output as a minimum and perhaps NMEA 2000. Any suggestions on AIS receivers that offer these capability for a reasonable price. I intend to display the output on my laptop.
Pete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not get a Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF, which has an integrated AIS receiver in a fairly nice DSC VHF unit, with a small display for AIS data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-04-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Why not get a Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF, which has an integrated AIS receiver in a fairly nice DSC VHF unit, with a small display for AIS data.
If a receiver only is what you want, then the Standard Horizon GX2100 will fit the bill...

However I would suggest that as long as you are going to all the trouble of installing and the expense, you may as well install an AIS Transceiver. A Transceiver will allow other vessels to see you, as well as you seeing them.

Garmin has a nice unit, IIRC ~$600

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 12-04-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Best receiver value is the Standard Horizon GX2100-AIS. Sends data to any GPS plotter as well..

Red ship is AIS from GX2100-AIS...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-04-2010
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Thanks. I think that may be the way to go. I'm planning to purchase the Garmin gpsmap 441s. It appears that the gx2100 has 3 NMEA ports with 1 hi speed for ais output, 1 low speed input for gps, and 1 low speed output for dsc. The 441s has a Tx port 1 out, Rx port 1 in, Tx port 2 out, and Rx port 2 in. Any idea how you'd connect things so that both the gx2100 and laptop received gps data from 441s and both 441s and laptop received ais data from gx2100? Can the NMEA 0183 gps output of 441s be paralleled and sent to both gx2100 and laptop and likewise can the ais output of gx2100 be paralleled and sent to both 441s and laptop?

Edit: I do have a USB hockey puck gps which could easily provide gps input to laptop. That still leaves the question on paralleling the ais signal. For some reason, I'd like to share the gps signal from 441s (if possible) and save the hockey puck as a backup.

Last edited by prroots; 12-05-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Check out the ICOM MXA-5000 receiver. Picks up both A and B signals, uses the exisiting VHF antenna and is easy to connect. Picked one up last year (2009) after the Annapolis Show for $415 from Defender. Works well with my E120.
Old 12-04-2010

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road
Second Vote for MXA-5000

I've found the MXA-5000 to be very good unit. One really nice and often overlooked feature is that if you wire a GPS _into_ it as well, then it will repeat GPS and AIS nmea data out on a separate PC serial line. I have this wired to a bluetooth serial dongle, and so any laptop onboard can pick up the bluetooth serial connection and see realtime position and AIS data. Very handy (now if only Apple would put a non-crippled bluetooth stack on the iPhone and iPad).

- LP
Old 12-04-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Does the GX2100 just use the existing VHF antenna cable? If so it seems like a no brainer and it says that my RAM mike will connect to it too.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-04-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
There are reasons to want receive only...privacy for one! Have you seen those websites that plot ais tracks online? They have prior 30 days of data *OR MORE*!!!! I for one do not want my ais breadcrumbs to be available for all to see.

For receive only, I agree with the standard horizon matrix. But for me, this meant not only a new VHF, but also now a new ram mic and cabling...it became a $1000 project. Too much.

So I'm investigating the newest ACR dual channel nauticast from on sale for sub-$200 at defender. Getting a dedicated whip VHF antennae and mounting it to the bimini. Redundancy of antennas is a good thing anyway, and can't beat the price.
Old 12-04-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Does the GX2100 just use the existing VHF antenna cable? If so it seems like a no brainer and it says that my RAM mike will connect to it too.

Yes all you need to do is connect the NEMA, power, VHF antenna and the RAM if you have one..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.