Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-05-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
AIS and Raymarine RL80C

My set up is about 6 years old now, so its outdated, but works very well. Master RL80C at nav station and slaved unit at helm. Integrated autopilot, radar, depth, speed, temp and sea talk. I've been tempted to upgrade, mostly for the modern superior graphics, but the newer digital equip isn't all compatible. To do the chartplotters requires at least a new radar as well.

I've wanted to add an AIS transmitter/receiver, but can't figure out how to integrate it. Not sure these even existed when this unit was made. I was hoping there was a way to get it into sea talk, at the least.

Anyone have a good direction here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Your Raymarine RL80C supports NMEA 0183. If you are looking for an AIS RECEIVER, a lot of people like the Standard Horizon GX2100, which should work and integrate with your existing chart plotter.

The NEMA 0183 OUT from the radio will go to one of the two NEMA 0183 inputs on the chart plotter.

You, or the installer, will need the manual which I found here. Read and understand chapter 8.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a guarantee that this will work. I am only stating that it should work. I assume a level of technical competence of you or the installer. Your actual mileage may vary. Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts. Etc....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-05-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
Old 12-06-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I would be surprised if your RL80C could display AIS data. Sure, you can send the data TO it, but it won't know what to do WITH it.

If you have the manual it should contain a list of what it can display. If you don't see AIS listed then it won't work.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

I would be surprised if your RL80C could display AIS data. Sure, you can send the data TO it, but it won't know what to do WITH it.

If you have the manual it should contain a list of what it can display. If you don't see AIS listed then it won't work.

Barry
Raymarine fully agrees. I sent a note to their customer support, which replied that the C, E and G series displays were the first to be able to display AIS data.

Bummer. A full upgrade would be painful. At the very least, the hole in the teak at the nav station is the wrong size and eveything else would need to be moved for the new screen. Probably just too much.

Wish there was a handheld AIS receiver.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.