Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-06-2010

billdre is on a distinguished road
Examining Chain Plates

When I bought my boat last year the surveyor warned me that the deck was "wet" around the starboard chainplates. This winter I plan on pulling the bolts that go through the partial bulkhead below deck to check for moisture. I want to loosen the turnbuckles to take the tension off the chainplates so I can pull the a couple bolts at time.
I have a keel stepped mast with front and rear stays, plus two slightly forward lateral stays that anchor separately from the main chainplates. My question is, does anyone see a problem leaving the mast up and loosening only the two stays attached to the chainplates. I just don't want to put the mast at risk even though it is on the hard and otherwise supported. This is a 1979 O'Day 28.
Thanks for any thoughts or experiences along this line.
Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

billdre
Time Enough
'79 O'Day 28
Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2010

Hesper is on a distinguished road
I have often detached one shroud at a time to check the chainplates without fear of the mast toppling. I suppose I could do two at once, but not sure why you would want to - unless you have two shrouds attached to a single chainplate? Mine is a 28 foot S2 8.5 and I've done this at the mooring and on the hard.
Old 12-06-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
I agree with Hesper. It took me a while to get comfortable with this concept, but it's really no big deal if done correctly.

My family had a 1980 O'Day 28 when I was a kid. Based on your description and my somewhat blurry memory, I recall the upper and the aft lower went to the same chainplate, then the forward lowers were on their own chainplates--is that right?

If it were me, I'd do the following:

1) Run the main halyard to the starboard stanchion base or something else solid nearby the chainplate and tighten (enough to support the mast, but don't put too much load on a stanchion base).

2) Loosen the port upper just a bit to be roughly even with the starboard halyard tension, and loosen the port lowers a lot since you're taking the starboard lowers off (without anything to take their place).

3) Then I'd can remove the shrouds on the starboard side and get to work.

Does that make sense? I've done this several times on our current boat with no ill effects. If the mast was deck stepped, this might be different. Hope this helps!
-J
Old 12-06-2010

Wink

J,
you have a great memory, that is how the rigging is done.
Using the halyard as a counter tension support is really good. When I said I was going to loosen two shrouds, what I meant was opposing pairs and your details take that thinking into account. Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

billdre
Time Enough
'79 O'Day 28
Boston
Old 12-06-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
J,
you have a great memory, that is how the rigging is done.
Using the halyard as a counter tension support is really good. When I said I was going to loosen two shrouds, what I meant was opposing pairs and your details take that thinking into account. Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Bill
OK glad to help. I would not remove both the uppers (port and starboard) without a halyard in place of each (on our boat we'd use the main and spinnaker halyards). I would have no problem removing the lowers on both sides.

Hope that helps!
-J
Old 12-06-2010
Unpaid Intern

By the way, here's a pic of our boat underway, circa 1984. We sailed her from Norfolk, VA to Newport, RI and back with a family of four. Hope you enjoy your 28, Bill!

Irish_Rover
Old 12-06-2010

J,
thanks for the extra comment and picture. The plan is to do coast sailing just like your family did. It's my wife and I. We spent this year all over Narraganset Bay. We haven't been in open ocean but other O'Day 28 owners have told me they have done it to Block Island, Martha's Vineyard , etc. You're the first that's indicated they've gone that far. Next summer we head for open water.
Thanks again,
Bill

billdre
Time Enough
'79 O'Day 28
Boston
Old 12-06-2010
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
J,
thanks for the extra comment and picture. The plan is to do coast sailing just like your family did. It's my wife and I. We spent this year all over Narraganset Bay. We haven't been in open ocean but other O'Day 28 owners have told me they have done it to Block Island, Martha's Vineyard , etc. You're the first that's indicated they've gone that far. Next summer we head for open water.
Thanks again,
Bill
Thanks for indulging me re: the pic.

At the time, our boat was almost new and loaded with the latest gear for such a trip. And while my dad opted to go "outside" most of the way North, he chose the inside route on the way South--down LI Sound, outside (and overnight) just from NY to Cape May, then inside up the Delaware and into the Chesapeake. I would go the inside route if in the same boat today, but certainly wouldn't hesitate to hit Block Island, etc., in the right conditions. Good luck in your cruising!
-J

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.