Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-08-2010

Dog8It is on a distinguished road
Kingston Anchors . . . any experiences ?

I am planning on getting a new plow / CQR type anchor to use as a primary, main anchor. Lewmar CQR is a bit pricey so I was thinking of perhaps buying a Kingston anchor (plow). However, I cannot find it in any reviews. Has anyone used it ? Any experiences ?

The boat I sail is a 35 footer, light-to-moderate displacement. The bow rollers are of closed-type (not open) and thus Delta, Rocna, Manson anchors are out of question.

Primary area of cruising is Chesapeake. I usually day-sail, with occasional week-2 week cruise.

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions.

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
my feeling on plows are simple.

plows are designed to move dirt, not resist it. they are designed to dig in and turn the dirt over, but move thru it.

if you are cheap go to bacons and get the knock off lewmar for 100 bucks. better than a plow in our nice soft mud
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that skimping on ground tackle is a really stupid idea IMHO. Anchors are not only important when staying out overnight, but also an important piece of safety gear. Getting a cheap anchor or an undersized anchor could put you and your crew at risk, not to mention your boat.

Just curious, but why do you say a Rocna, Manson Supreme, and Delta are out of the question? A photo of the bow roller would certainly help.

You might also want to watch some videos of the differences between the older CQR type anchors and the newer "next generation" anchors like the Rocna. Maine Sail has posted this video of one of the tests he did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-09-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Anchors can show a lot of use and surface corosion without a loss in their function. I have purchased prime quality anchors at used marine supply and consignment shops for a fraction of their new price. Of course, anyone that has spent time following a mule knows that the angle that the plow enters the soil determines wether it moves the dirt or becomes embedded. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-09-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
To answer your question about Kingston anchors I had a Kingston knock-off CQR for many years. I used it as a secondary to my Bruce primary. This was in the days before the new generation of anchors. It is a decent plow, stamped rather than cast like a CQR. I sold it when I got a Manson Supreme which is now my primary with a Bruce as secondary.

Old 12-09-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
.....Maine Sail has posted this video of one of the tests he did.
Is this really a good test? It seems to simulate the anchor rode/chain laying flat for 50+ feet and pulling directly across the bottom. That would require a lot of chain out for there to be no upward pull at all. That would be poor setting technique, but I see the point that the Rocna would accommodate it better.
Old 12-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is this really a good test? It seems to simulate the anchor rode/chain laying flat for 50+ feet and pulling directly across the bottom. That would require a lot of chain out for there to be no upward pull at all. That would be poor setting technique, but I see the point that the Rocna would accommodate it better.
Just curious, what scope do you set your anchor at? IIRC, he had it set for a specific scope, probably 7:1 or so. You'd have to ask him. He's also done similar tests at very clearly known scope with very similar results.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The CQR did not set in that location on ANY scope down to 2:1... Infinite scope or 8:1, what that was in the first video, is about the best you will get for setting just about any anchor. Also, until the anchor begins to dig in the shank will not raise if you have any amount of chain in your rode so 3:1-7:1 makes little difference while the anchor is dragging across the bottom. Once the tip begins to bite you'll likely want a minimum of 4:1+ for a good solid set.

Until that tip digs in you have chain on the bottom. The CQR tip NEVER dug in. Even at a 2:1 scope, a CQR will never set well with this BTW, the shank lies almost always flat until the tip digs in which it just does not like to do in hard bottoms as seen in the video. The videos are what they are and the anchors did what they did..

Because this was done near a local anchorage a nice older gent was watching carefully while we were doing these tests. He was dumbfounded at how poorly the CQR performed even when treated exactly the same as the Rocna.

After we were done he came up to me and said he went for nearly 7 years without anchoring because he had had such a tough time setting his CQR, had multiple draggins, and his wife was scared to anchor. He just accepted that all anchors perform this way and he was not comfortable anchoring anymore. When I asked he stated and described that he was using proper techniques including proper scope and setting or backing down on the anchor to check the set. He asked for the name of the Rocna and told me he was going to buy one. It was an interesting day to say the least.

P.S. I have two genuine CQR's if the OP wants to buy one of these door stops/decorations. You will have to sign a waiver though that I will not be held liable/responsible when or if your boat winds up on the rocks..

CQR 2:1:
YouTube - CQR Hard Sand Setting 2:1 Scope

Here's a CQR @ 4:1
YouTube - CQR Setting In Hard Sand 4:1 Scope

Here's a Rocna @ 4:1
YouTube - Rocna Setting On Hard Sand At 4:1 Scope

Rocna - No matter how it lands it seems to set almost immediately:
YouTube - Rocna Anchor - Flip Flop & Dig - At 4:1 Scope

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-09-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
$0.02

Dog8it,

Puhleezez don't cheap out on your anchor. I would hate to see another thread like this one. While the SVDistantStar was on an anchor, when he should have been on a mooring, the root cause of his situation is that he couldn't afford proper ground tackle.

I just bit the bullet and purchased a Rocna 15 for my new-to-me 35 footer. (Craig's support here was a factor.) I haven't brought it to the boat yet, as she is covered for the winter. I don't know if it will fit on the bow roller, and frankly don't care. I'll make whatever modifications are necessary. The new anchor has also driven me to buy new rode, shackles, and chain...

When I bought her, the boat was outfitted with this woefully undersized plow (Simpson-Lawrence aka Delta #14);

I read through the PO's log and saw that he had issues in several places with his anchor dragging... I'm giving this anchor to a friend with a 28' Sabre.

Finances are a big issue for me, but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-09-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-09-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The CQR did not set in that location on ANY scope down to 2:1... Infinite scope or 8:1, what that was in the first video, is about the best you will get for setting just about any anchor. Also, until the anchor begins to dig in the shank will not raise if you have any amount of chain in your rode so 3:1-7:1 makes little difference while the anchor is dragging across the bottom. Once the tip begins to bite you'll likely want a minimum of 4:1+ for a good solid set.

Until that tip digs in you have chain on the bottom. The CQR tip NEVER dug in. Even at a 2:1 scope, a CQR will never set well with this BTW, the shank lies almost always flat until the tip digs in which it just does not like to do in hard bottoms as seen in the video. The videos are what they are and the anchors did what they did..

[/URL]
I had the same question about the scope issue and you've cleared that up in your response above....thanks. One other comment about the test is that I notice that the pull is straight. How would that CQR react if you varied the pull so that the hinge moved from side to side as the anchor was pulled slowly along the bottom...?

Several years ago I did replace my 35 lb CQR with a 45 lb Mason Supreme, but for over 20 years that little CQR did a good job even holding up well in a Cat 1 hurricane. Did have problems in soft mud so I relented to the newer designs, but still feel the CQR is a good anchor if time is taken to set it.