SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rebuild or Replace

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pblais 
#1 ·
I have a 1979 Young Sun Ketch which I really like for its offshore capability, but I need to decide what to do with the original Perkins 4-154 diesel engine. She runs well, starts quickly and other than requiring oil and water in modest amounts will propel the boat at speeds upwards of 7 knots at 2000 RPMs in flat water without adverse breeze for 24 hours at a time. I usually stop to replenish the fluids at least every 24 hours.
I would love a new 4-154, but I don''t think they are still made. I have found a site for Perkins-Sabre engines, one of which seems to be about the same in terms of specs. I looked at a Westerbeke of similar specs also. The new engines have alarms for every concievable malfunction which would be great.
Should I rebuild the old engine which is beginning to leak and at some inopportune time will fail or should I get a new engine? Can some of you share your experiences with me on this one Please? Bill Shedd

#2 ·
It doesn''t sound like there is anything wrong with your existing engine other than seals/gaskets which would argue strongly for a rebuild. But a good diesel mechanic could evaluate the overall condition of the engine for you (compression, heads, valves, injectors etc.)at a price that would be a lot less than a new engine and then you''d at least have facts to base your decision on.
I''m sure he could recommend & install monitoring guages on an existing engine as well. The trick is finding a good mechanic and I''m sure the board folks here can recommend one in your area. Best...GB

#3 ·
I sure wouldn''t toss the engine just yet and rebuilt 4-154''s are available and worthwhile to look at should you really need a new engine. The 4-154 is a nice reliable engine.

You may not need even a total rebuild either. Get a good mechanic to look at it. If it needs a full rebuild then pull it, and ship it to a rebuild shop. Trans-Atlantic Diesel, White Marsh, VA is one of the best on the east coast. You generally will save on a rebuild if you take the engine out and send it to a shop. They can do it for one third the price in a shop vs. what a mechanic on board your boat will charge you to do in place. It may be a PITA to pull it out but worth the effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.