Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2010

yzlian is on a distinguished road
snapped coaxial cable for SSB

hello there. the coaxial cable running to my SSB antenna chipped at one point and eventually snapped. for coax cables, is a quick fix (somehow joining up the snapped ends) good enough, or should i replace the whole thing? if joining up is good enough, what is the best way to do it? thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2010

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Advise to replace the "whole thing' if it's exposed to the elements..otherwise the dielectric will egress with water..
Old 12-12-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
If it's the cable from the radio to the antenna tuner replacing it would probably be better, but you could "splice" it with the proper co-ax connectors and see how that works. It it's the cable from the tuner to the antenna or the insulated backstay it's best to replace it as I don't think they make connectors for that type of cable and it's not that expensive anyway.
Old 12-12-2010

thanks for the advice. i will replace it.
Old 12-12-2010

Freddyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzlian View Post
hello there. the coaxial cable running to my SSB antenna chipped at one point and eventually snapped. for coax cables, is a quick fix (somehow joining up the snapped ends) good enough, or should i replace the whole thing? if joining up is good enough, what is the best way to do it? thanks.
If the cable is so old that it "chips and snaps" it definitely should be replaced. It's supposed to be flexible after all.
Old 12-12-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"If the cable is so old that it "chips and snaps" it definitely should be replaced."
ABSOLUTELY. And some folks would suggest replacing it every five years anyway, as the core compresses and damp gets in and the cable degrades while still working.

You can make an emergency repair to coax in several ways. Easiest is to cut the break, install a "crimp on" male conector one each side, and screw both into a "double female" connector to rejoin them. Wrap over with waterproof tape.

Hopefully you've got an SWR meter and antenna tuner on that rig, things like a bad cable can kill the signal, or the rig itself.
Old 12-13-2010
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Yzlian

To splice the old broken piece, you will probably need two PL-259 Coax connectors.

Not rocket science to solder these guys (see How to solder a PL-259 Coax Connector | The Steven Experience.

Once you have done that you will probably need a Barrel Antenna Coax Connector to join the pieces.

And, you will then have an old piece of coax repaired.

To replace it you will probably need two PL-259 Coax connectors (see above) and some new bulk coax. Try some place like HRO Ham Radio Outlet - World's Largest Supplier of Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Equipment. Sales, Supplies, and Service. . Once done, you will have a new piece of Coax. Same job, you will have learned how to install coax connectors and your job will be a better one.

Merry Christmas

Rik
Old 02-27-2011

now that i am finally reunited with my boat, i can start the repairing jobs to turn it into cat 1. this post is still about the ssb coaxial cable linking the smart-tuner to the antenna, which is just a good part of the rear stay; now i would like to know if the connection between the coax and the rear stay is a special thing, or is it just like any wire connection - splice and connect then wrap up with tape, which could be done by anyone in an hour or so? thanks! yzlian
Old 02-27-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
If you are going to splice then you need to ensure continuity of the sheilding.
After repairing the core its important to insulate the core from the sheild, looks like mesh, and repair the sheild if not useing a mechanical co-axial connector.
These have two ends, the core is exposed to push into the fitting on both sides and the co-axial sheild is held by the locking nuts and the sheilding is restored.
Safe sailing
Old 02-27-2011

transmitterdan is on a distinguished road
There is only one "coax" connected to the tuner. The coax runs from the radio to the tuner. Coax repairs have already been correctly described in this thread using two male connectors and a female barrel.

The cable that runs from the tuner to the back stay is not a coax (or at least it shouldn't be). It should be a high voltage single conductor wire. Splicing this type of wire can be tricky but it's possible to do. But high voltage cable is fairly cheap and if the existing one has insulation cracks and is broken then it probably got water in it some time and should be replaced. If you want to try splicing it you can do this with a regular Anchor crimp type butt splice. Heat seal after crimping and wrap with generous layers of rubber tape. Try to make sure that the splice does not come in close contact with any part of the boat but especially any metal bits.

Dan