Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010

tburton is on a distinguished road
refrigeration

i just joined sailnet and hope i am doing this correctly - anyway, i have a rafiki 37 (my first sailboat ever) and i am a true novice - my refrigeration recently stopped working and i have been told by two different mechanics that it will cost between $1,700 and $2,200 to replace the compressor, module and thermostat, including labor - does this sound remotely correct or am i being completely fleeced?

thanks - tburton - sausalito
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2010
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
Ice works quite well.
Old 12-17-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'sounds like the approximate cost of an entire new unit. What is the make of your current refrig.? Does it have a Danfloss compressor? ....a 12 volt air cooled model? Tell us more,- with that cost it might be wise to change to a newer more energy efficient unit. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-17-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I think you're being fleeced.

We have discussed refridgeration on this forum at some length and I have psoted this info before but to save you the search I'll post it again.

This website is in New Zealand but these units are available just about anywhere (at least I am told they are). These units are so simple to install it's an easy DIY for just about anyone.

AIRCOOLED KITSETS

The supply only for the fridge unit for my boat complete was quoted at NZ$950 and the freezer unit (I'll be fitting both) was quoted at NZ$1450 and my fridge cavities are quite big (easily the size of an average domestic fridge).

These units are cutting edge for boats, run very efficiently on 12V and the ones with the water cooled condensors are extremely quiet and cool inside the boat (no fans).

So to repair an old unit for US$1700 to US$2200 is very expensive. Or at least, that's my opinion.
Glacroix likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 12-17-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How big a refrigerator do you need? For that kind of money you could buy a new unit. One possible option would be to get a "portable" 12 VDC/110 VAC unit, like an Engel or Norcold, and use that and convert the existing refrigerator into an icebox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-17-2010

tburton is on a distinguished road
thanks very much for all your replies - i will research my situation more and come back with further thoughts - tom burton
Old 12-18-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Try isotherm,for less than that you should be able to replace the entire unit.Can be installed by you.marc ps got mine at sailorsams,great service and prices
Old 12-18-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Not clear if you are talking about a refigeration unit for an icebox or a self contained stand alone refrigerator. If the later, I would just replace it. If the former, a change out of the condensing unit would be worth it.
Old 12-18-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Wink

The OP hasn't been fleeced. He asked professionals for quotes and received them. He hasn't asked Joe DIY in the slip next door for the price has he? He's not paid anyone yet. Hopefully, he will get references, read the quotes and not just look at the bottom line.

Seems to me.. if the OP had the ability to DIY he wouldn't be asking professionals for prices. Those prices will always be high according to anyone trying to DIY. The mistake the OP is making (imo) is asking the DIY crowd to judge the price from the DIY perspective, which cannot come even close to the real costs of running a business and trying to make a living in a certain field of endeavor.

To say contractors fleece or rip off people is just wrong. (I do agree some are dishonest) The argument can be easily argued from the contractors perspective.

Examples; In any area of contracting, not just marine. Owners try everything they can to circumvent the quoted price. Owner tries to get contractor to do more things done that were not included with the price. Owner then complains about the extra costs. Owners don't show up on the agreed time. Owners "have a friend" that "said" contractor should be doing such and such.... Owners stop payments but don't try to talk reasonably with the contractor first. Owner buys things and expects contractor to spend his time installing/fixing/changing, then thinks the contractor is going to give them a warranty on something the owner bought.

Yes, I get hate mail

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 12-18-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
The OP hasn't been fleeced. He asked professionals for quotes and received them. He hasn't asked Joe DIY in the slip next door for the price has he? He's not paid anyone yet. Hopefully, he will get references, read the quotes and not just look at the bottom line.

Seems to me.. if the OP had the ability to DIY he wouldn't be asking professionals for prices. Those prices will always be high according to anyone trying to DIY. The mistake the OP is making (imo) is asking the DIY crowd to judge the price from the DIY perspective, which cannot come even close to the real costs of running a business and trying to make a living in a certain field of endeavor.

To say contractors fleece or rip off people is just wrong. (I do agree some are dishonest) The argument can be easily argued from the contractors perspective.

Examples; In any area of contracting, not just marine. Owners try everything they can to circumvent the quoted price. Owner tries to get contractor to do more things done that were not included with the price. Owner then complains about the extra costs. Owners don't show up on the agreed time. Owners "have a friend" that "said" contractor should be doing such and such.... Owners stop payments but don't try to talk reasonably with the contractor first. Owner buys things and expects contractor to spend his time installing/fixing/changing, then thinks the contractor is going to give them a warranty on something the owner bought.

Yes, I get hate mail
Denise, you are right that some owners are just inconsolable. However, I've hired contractors in a lot of industries and no other seems to have the consistency of over charging as the marine industry. My gripe has not been the charges for parts or the per hour fees, but typically how long they claim it took to do a job. I've been charged 90 minutes to replace one screw on the outside of a water pump that required you to open a hatch to access. I was just charged 3 hours of labor to run antifreeze through the main engine seawater intake for the winter (no other service at all).

This happens routinely in the marine industry, I'm afraid. It is well known in my neck of the woods that an on call boat manager/captain can virtually get their fee back for you by being around when work is being done, therefore, the yard can't claim it took longer than it did.