Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2010

Walt352 is on a distinguished road
Question Datamarine Instruments

I have a set of digital datamarine wind LX-360,depth S-200DL,and speed S-100KL instruments that the LED's have been exposed to the sun so long that you can hardly read them anymore. I suppose that the covers were lost or never put on. I would like some ideas on what to do, should I send them to DMI to be refurbished at about 150.00 to 200.00 each or take a look at upgrading. Money is a factor around this time of year but I want the boat to be ready come spring. Thanks Walt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2010

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Hey Walt, I am faced with a similar dilemma. Right now (for me) the choice is between a Raymarine ST-60 cluster and refurbing. The Raymarine gets great write-ups from everybody, and looks fabulous; but refurbing will be a lot cheaper, and I have only heard good things about DMI.

Right now I am tending towards DMI because:
1) Cost - not only instruments, but a haulout to replace the transducer. I reckon that'll be around $1500 all in. My only bad instrument is the depth gauge.
2) Minor factor, but apparently the Raymarine cutout is slightly smaller than the Datamarine, so I'd have to redo the console are which would be a pain.

I'll be interested to hear what others say...
Old 12-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are these LED or LCD displays??

IIRC, they're LCD, and given that you say you can hardly read them, the solution may be as simple as replacing the polarizing film over the displays.

LCDs work by creating polarized light. In order to read an LCD you need to have a linearly polarized filter over them. You can check this by looking at the displays through a set of polarized sunglasses and tilting your head side-to-side. If the displays become more readable, then it is the polarizing film that needs replacing. You can order the stuff at any big photo supply shop or online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt352 View Post
I have a set of digital datamarine wind LX-360,depth S-200DL,and speed S-100KL instruments that the LED's have been exposed to the sun so long that you can hardly read them anymore. I suppose that the covers were lost or never put on. I would like some ideas on what to do, should I send them to DMI to be refurbished at about 150.00 to 200.00 each or take a look at upgrading. Money is a factor around this time of year but I want the boat to be ready come spring. Thanks Walt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-19-2010

Walt352 is on a distinguished road
Yes thay are LCD that's great news I'll give it a try and let you know.
Old 12-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good enuf. It amazes me that they charge an arm and a leg when a couple of bucks worth of plastic polarizing film is often all that is needed.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-19-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
And buy some covers from DMI!
Old 12-19-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
And buy some covers from DMI!
IIRC, the DMI units are round and there are some coffee can lids that will fit them.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-20-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Defender has the cover for the older Datamarine Instruments Corinthian Series Instrument Cover

BTW, I have a Datamarine Wind unit without the mast head piece for sale if interested. Its looks practically brand new, never installed, came with my boat as a back up...I've since replaced my DM stuff with Tack Tick wireless, T104 package (thanks Dog)
Old 12-20-2010
Telstar 28

De nada shawn... The only reason I mention the coffee can lids is that they're basically free.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-20-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I've used DMI on two separate occasions to refurb our knotmeter and our wind speed head unit. I couldn't be happier with the results and the savings over purchasing everything new made the decision easy. The guy at DMI explained that these units aren't sexy but last forever.

I have several spare covers to prevent the problems listed. I'm amazed that so many people don't cover their instruments..........