SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Direct TV (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/70755-direct-tv.html)

Minnewaska 12-19-2010 02:54 PM

Direct TV
 
Don't know anything about this stuff. Why can't one just get a land based Direct TV subscription for TV, phone and internet and a TracVision receiver and have it all? Unlimited satt internet, etc??

sailingdog 12-19-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 678757)
Don't know anything about this stuff. Why can't one just get a land based Direct TV subscription for TV, phone and internet and a TracVision receiver and have it all? Unlimited satt internet, etc??

Because most of the DirecTV type internet connections use a modem for the uplink, and the satellite dish for the downlink, and provide a very asymmetrical connection. There are some satellite dishes that can handle both up and downlinks...but I don't believe that TracVision makes a dish that can support it yet.

night0wl 12-19-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 678805)
Because most of the DirecTV type internet connections use a modem for the uplink, and the satellite dish for the downlink, and provide a very asymmetrical connection. There are some satellite dishes that can handle both up and downlinks...but I don't believe that TracVision makes a dish that can support it yet.

While that used to be the case (needing a phone line) I dont believe the current generation of Hughes home internet plans require a phone line for their internet access. I think the limitations is frankly related to the constant movement one encounters on a boat. Satellite communication needs stabilized equipment for clean uplink/download capability.

SVAuspicious 12-20-2010 02:59 PM

KVH and others have the hardware to support sat TV and Internet. It's just about money.

sailingdog 12-20-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 679029)
KVH and others have the hardware to support sat TV and Internet. It's just about money.

Considering the KVH TracPhone V7, which does satellite-based bi-directional broadband internet is about $28,000, yeah, it's about the money. Fixed monthly rate data plans start at $1995.00 per MONTH.

SVAuspicious 12-20-2010 04:22 PM

Sat service is definitely more expensive than the average cruiser wants to spend, but not nearly so expensive as listed above. Talk to people who have BTDT.

MacGyverRI 12-20-2010 07:16 PM

2 way Sat. internet that's under $100 a month. Has to be mounted to a piling etc. WildBlue Satellite Internet Service Providers - Affordable, From MyBlueDish.com

Then use hulu.com or ch131.com etc. for free TV and movies

poopdeckpappy 12-20-2010 07:17 PM

From Direct TV website

Quote:

DIRECTV delivers high-speed Internet (up to 1.5Mbps) powered by WildBlue™ to any home, virtually anywhere in the country. You don't even need a phone line. For as low as $49.99 a month for 12 months (up to 512 kbps) you can keep an "always–on" connection — watch videos and download photos and music. This is the best offer you can get on satellite Internet. And it's available only from DIRECTV.

Minnewaska 12-20-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 679133)
From Direct TV website

Now we're talking. I wonder if there is a separate antenna that does the uplink or if is uses the dish somehow. I suppose whether the subscription is compatible with a gyro stabilized antenna, like the TracVision, is a critical issue.

I know of a place or two on the out islands of the Bahamas that had internet access, but certainly no phone. It was definitely through satellite. Got me thinking here. It just doesn't seem like it should or needs to be as crazy expensive of some marine systems are.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012