SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Removing 5200

11K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Leadmine 
#1 ·
The genius who owned my boat before me apparently sealed the chainplates with 5200....anyone have suggestions for removing this stuff without destroying the gelcoat?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
There is a 5200 solvent that you can get from Westmarine called "Anti-bond 2015". It comes in a little spray can and is supposed to work on things like 5200.

Take a look here
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=51839

#3 ·
It appears that with their 5200 line Rule has gone up over the mountain and is sliding down the other side! They''ve created a product that works too well and it is cursed as much as a product that doesn’t work well enough! I''ve heard that gasoline works to soften it up although I''ve never tried it.

#6 ·
3 m makes another product called roll locks .3" discs that attach to a drill or air tool with a special attachment piece.Their made of different grits of scotch brite. you have to be carfull but their great for removing gasket met. 5200, paint light rust or most anything that is in the way.try um and you'll never be without um ..

#7 ·
Anti-Bond is probably the way to go...

#9 ·
Chain plates are subject to wear, damage and stress. As such, they will occassionally need replacement or re-bedding.

If the chain plates need replacement, removal or rebedding and were sealed in place with 5200, trying to get them out is almost impossible, due to the tenacious nature of 3M 5200, which is often considered a permanent adhesive.

#11 · (Edited)
Man, 3m ought to force anybody buying 5200 to answer a short quiz regarding their intentions. Every step of the way it's been the same story.

1) Teak ain't cheap, so let's be gentle an see if we can save the piece.

2) Well, saving some of the piece might save some time by having a template for the new part.

3) Damn, removing this stuff is just a nightmare, the origianal coamings looked a little bulky and mahogany will look just fine.

I figure I have thirty hours invested in removing the beautifully contrived and riduculously installed teak trim from my Bluenose 24 restoration project.

This is a great product for bonding permanently installed items, and unless your boat is definitely going to the scrap heap within the next 20 years,. there ain't any permanent joints on your boat.

Just sayin'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.