Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-22-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
New windlass?

I don't want a new windlass. Unfortunately it's looking like that might be a possibility in the near future. I have a Lewmar Ocean 1 vertical windlass that I just put a new gearbox and motor on two years ago but I think the main base/body of the thing is just plain worn out. The only problem I'm having with it is that the chain (all chain, 3/8" BBB) will not feed out without jamming repeatedly when I'm trying to anchor. By jamming I mean that the chain gets caught between the SS body of the windlass and the gypsy right where the chain is supposed to feed into the gypsy. At it's worst it jams maybe 50 times while trying to let out 125', on a good day maybe only a dozen jams or so. Each time I have to reverse the windlass and bring in several inches of chain and then try it again. In a tight anchorage, or with current or wind it is almost impossible to get the hook down where it needs to be. I've replaced the little wear parts, but they just get chewed up and broken in no time. I think that the inside of the body is just so worn that it's allowing the chain to fall over too far where it's supposed to be feeding it into the gypsy. I wouldn't be completely opposed to a new windlass but for the fact that apparently the new windlasses don't offer a gypsy that works with BBB chain, at least Lewmar doesn't seem to, and the chain I have is in great shape (re-galvanized two years ago). Any ideas or suggestions before I bite the bullet?
Thanks in advance.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hey John,
Kind of went through the same procedure myself a couple of years back. When ours died I put in a new gearbox, then had to turn around and replace the motor. Reality is it would have been not much more expensive to have replaced the entire thing, and gone up a size to boot. Such it is.

I wonder though why it is jamming ? Have you had a good look at the shaft ? Plenty of lubrication ? I did find when I pulled ours apart back then that the grease nipple was in poor shape and may not have been doing its job. In our case that meant water getting in which was what ultimately ruined the gearbox but maybe just maybe you are not getting enough grease onto the shaft ?

Sorry, not much help I know. This was more to provide some moral support.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-22-2010
Courtney the Dancer

I'm open to any ideas TD. The jamming is coming from the chain, not anything internal. It pulls the anchor and chain up with no problems and no jamming, ever. Right where the chain makes the 90 degree turn out of the deck and onto the gypsy there seems to be too much room so it doesn't feed smoothly into the gypsy. I can see that there has been a lot of stainless worn away thru the years and it seems that this is providing enough slop for the chain to kind of fall off to the side instead of being pushed into the gypsy. This is my first electric windlass so not much experience to fall back on. I'm wondering if I could have the stainless built up in the base to replace what is worn away but with no original dimensions to work with it would be expensive trial and error.
Why don't the new windlasses work with 3B chain?

Old 12-22-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
John

Can you hand over hand the chain down, rather using the windlass? That might buy you some time.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-22-2010
Courtney the Dancer

It's get's heavy fast Jack. 66lb Bruce and 3/8" chain, and it still has to feed up into the gypsy in order to hand feed it. I've tried free falling it by using the winch handle to loosen the gypsy but it jams and then you have to tighten the clutch to un-jam it. PITA.

Old 12-22-2010

That is a lot of weight.

One needs to be careful freefalling an anchor. I have a scar on my left thumb to prove it.
Old 12-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have you tried installing a bushing to reduce the gap? That might buy you another season or two. I wouldn't use stainless steel to make the bushing. I'd use starboard or UHMWPE. It is a lot easier to work and cheaper to replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-23-2010
Courtney the Dancer

That is an idea SD. I'm not sure how I would attach it to the SS body of the windlass securely enough to keep the chain from grinding it off. I'll take a couple of pictures this morning of the windlass, maybe someone with one will be able to tell if there is a lot of metal gone.
Does anyone know if any new windlasses are made to use the 3/8" BBB chain? I haven't found any, which is strange.

Old 12-23-2010

John

Would this help?

Who makes a windlass with a 3/8 BBB gypsy??
Old 12-23-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
John--We have a Maxwell VW-1500 that easily handles 3/8" BBB that has been an excellent investment. Take a look at Vertical Windlass Range . The only problem with these windlasses is the fact that the casing of the drive motor is made of painted steel rather than stainess or aluminum so one has to give them a periodic spray of corrosion blocker to ensure their longevity.

To employ SD's suggestion, you might make an HDPE "throat" that is mounted to the underside of the deck as a chain guide. Alternately, dismount your existing windlass and make an HDPE base plate to match with a slightly smaller opening for the chain guide. The following is our installation:

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-23-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.