Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-26-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Anyone ever try this for a re-make of non-slip deck?

Has anyone ever tried cutting vinyl window screen to shape, laying it on the deck in a bed of rolled wet epoxy, and, when cured, painting over the result? Just curious...seems like it could work...probably will try it since I already have the materials on hand...unless someone in here has tried it and can give me good reason not to...I could just do a small test square...

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-26-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I've a feeling it wouldn't wear very well, and would look pretty rough after a season... no hard facts to back that up, but it's not really very tough stuff. For reasonable money I think you'll find that Interlux Interdeck will do a pretty nice job.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-26-2010

Hmm.thanks fast...Interlux deck sounds expensive but I'll check it out...I like the idea of laying out some kind of pattern material cut to size for each panel..but I'lm unfamiliar with the various methods on the market and need to do more research...don't have a budget of more than 120 bucks I'd say for this project. if I can get away with that...and have something decent that will last with regular upkeep.

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-26-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I wonder if you could use a slow-setting epoxy, let it set to the "tacky" stage, roll some sort of mesh out (screen, hardware cloth, whatever), press the mesh into the surface of the epoxy, then lift the mesh back up -- leaving the imprint of the pattern on the surface. Kinda the way "stamped" concrete patterns are made.
Old 12-26-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I know it's an old technique, but I'm still fond of the non-skid results by mixing quartz sand with a topsides paint. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-26-2010

Anyone ever try this for a re-make of non-slip deck?

Capatin Force,

There is some merit to your "old technique" that is immediately obvious and that is that one will not have continuous build-up of epoxy as you would over time and many applications...that stuff is hard to sand afterall...when your re-painting the whole deck..and its alot cheaper to be sure...am wondering what kind of paint do you guys use Captain?
Old 12-27-2010

jfurlong is on a distinguished road
What kind of boat, or more specifically, how much non=slip surface area? I did the non-slip on a 1980 Hunter 30 with one quart of Interlux Interdeck and am pleased with the result so far. Granted it's only been one season. I have also used the sand technique. Make a "shaker" by punching holes in a plastic tub i.e. a margarine container or Tupperware and shake sand over the freshly applied paint. Let dry, brush off excess with a soft brush and apply second coat of paint.
Old 12-27-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Capatin Force,

.......am wondering what kind of paint do you guys use..........
I use Interlux Bristol Beige Topsides paint. The sand won't stay in suspension for long so I do stir it on ocassion while painting. I've heard others say that they spread the sand on the wet paint from a salt shaker with enlarged holes, but I've never tried that. One person said that he shakes regular table salt on his wet paint and that this produces a rough surface to the paint when the salt dissolves. Sounds interesting, but I've never tried that either. Like most, I tend to stick to what I am accustomed to and what works for me. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-27-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
A quart of Interlux brightsides paint and a small container of intergrip additive will handle your non skid requirements for less than $60. You'd be hard pressed to buy the epoxy and the screen for that kind of money, and then you would still have to paint over it.
Old 12-27-2010

So you just pick a a color of Interlux brightsides,,,grab some intergrip additive and then prep your areas ...sanding first to get a good bite I would guess...then proceed with appropriate tape/shielding for the areas you want left alone...and apply with...a brush..a roller? A smaller roller like 3-inch wide or so sounds like it might do the job...I'll save the brushes for other things...I appreciate the info guys...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.