Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-29-2010

Cotemar is on a distinguished road
Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ?

Cruisers,

I wanted to share my experience replacing my sewage hose on our Catalina 380.
We purchased this boat used. It was only three years old, but the head really smelled bad. After we purchased her, most locals said that they had looked at the boat but it smelled, so moved on to look at other boats without issues. We negotiated a better price based on the head smell problem.

Now, what’s the solution?
Hose is simple to install but will have the same problem in a few years as the hose permeates with urine & sulfurous malodors over time.
Better sewage hose like a SeaLand's OdorSafe Plus sanitation hose is very expensive and gives you a few more years, but will still odor permeate.

PVC house hold pipe is cheap and will never odor permeate, but takes more time to install.
We went with the PVC. We sold the boat after six years. Never had any plumbing problems and the boat always smelled great. The boat sold in one week.

1) This is standard PVC 1-1/2 inch house piping
2) Cut piping with a hack saw and small wooden miter box
3) Dry fit the whole system together
4) Put timing marks on each pipe and fitting with a black magic marker
5) Start at one end and glue and align your black timing marks as you put the pieces together.
6) At the toilet use a 1-1/2 coupling with a compression fitting on one side to connect to the toilet. Works great and never leaks and can be taken apart for servicing.
7) At the deck fitting I used just a short piece of hose since this will only be exposed to sewage for short periods of time.

I thought it was a good do it yourself job and will do it again on my current new boat in the near future when needed.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ?-destiny-270.jpg   Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ?-destiny-273.jpg   Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ?-destiny-274.jpg   Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ?-destiny-282.jpg   Sewage Hose or PVC Pipe ?-destiny-284.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2010

Boat Smell

It’s all about “Boat Smell”.
Boat manufacturers do not use high grade sewage hose.
This thread was started to address “Boat Smell”, by using a permanent PVC pipe solution.
A lot of cruisers just deal with having a progressively smelly boat then changing the sewage hose when it becomes almost unbearable to take the bad “Boat Smell”.
The common theme with this “Boat Smell” problem from reading other post is that it should have been replaced a few years ago or I can not sell by boat “WHY”
Over time most boat owners have no idea that their “Boat Smells”, because they are on it all the time or the miss’s has sprayed or has candles burning.
Of coarse your friends or guest will not tell you, but you had better know they talk about it together or to others.
It takes years, but over time all “Boats Smell” because of poor grade sewage hose.
Most of you can remember boat shopping and getting on a few boats with this “Boat Smell” problem. Those boats stay on the market for a really long time.
The only reason one would go with PVC piping verses sewage hose is to address the “boat smell problem” over a long time. Changing the sewage hose a few times will work also, but most do not.

As a side note: I left a 3 foot piece of the old sewage hose in the woods behind my house for over a year. It still smelled as bad as the day I removed it from the boat.

With first hand experience using PVC pipe over sewage hose over the long haul and as a DIY project, it was easier than I had envision when I started the project.

With this problem addressed I could move on to other concerns without worries.

Mark
Old 12-29-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Looks good. It would probably take me 50 trips back and forth for fittings. How many hours do you figure you have into the refit?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-29-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
On the other hand, the last time I looked, the use of rigid PVC pipe does not meet ABYC standards and so could invalidate your insurance if something went wrong. Before doing this you might want to check with ABYC and your insurance company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-29-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Jeff is right. The macerator shown will move a bit on its mount and the hoses have to be flexible to accomodate this and other slight movements that have to be expected on a boat.
Old 12-29-2010

Ray,

It took me 4 hour to install. Purchased more fittings than I would need and returned the unused ones.

You will here the ney sayers here, that's just the nature of these forums.

My PVC sewage system was installed and ran for years without a problem and no BOAT SMELL.

I would not post anything that did not work for me or anyone else.
This is just posting my REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE and the outcome.

This boat also wintered in the water.

Mark

Last edited by Cotemar; 12-29-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

While it works for you they are (surverys and Insurance) real fussy about below the waterline materials and will do silly things like make people change hoses to ones with the correct markings

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-29-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I have been thinking about going the half and half route, with a mix of PVC in low areas and easy runs with high quality hose in the hard to do areas. I did not considered problems with insurance companies and surveyors though. Nutz, more homework.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 12-29-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2010
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
I don't know anything about the ABYC standard (because I'm too lazy to look it up), but Nigel Calder touts rigid PVC as a solution to the 'boat smell' problem. He furthermore highlights the fact that the worst offending portion of the flexible hose equation being where effluent is left standing due to routing/design.

I can see erps' 1/2 'n' 1/2 solution as being the best of both worlds - use rigid PVC where effluent may be left standing, with flexible hose judiciously used only wherever a flexible connection (to a unit, tank, whatever) makes sense from a 'we don't want it to crack due to flexing between components' insurance perspective.
Old 12-29-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Up here in the Great White North we use ABS (not PVC) for household plumbing. I have used ABS on my boat for 15 years using only 6" of sanitary grade hose at each throughull/toilet/tank connection (for vibration protection)and have never had a smell or a problem.

ABYC makes no mention of ABS or PVC as hose replacement and there is nothing in the standards which would even suggest they not be used. Like everything else on your boat installation method is important.
PS I am ABYC Standards Certified.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.