Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-13-2011

zboss is on a distinguished road
Navionics is completely missing sandy spit bvi in "chart only" view, so you still need to remain vigilant!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
New iPad is available in the USA tomorrow!!!

Is someone gunna buy one pronto? Can you tell us how it is?

I wanna I wanna I wanna
I ordered mine online on Fri, but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. Plan to set it up as a backup nav device. Going to experiment without a gps puck, but that may be required. Getting a waterproof case too.

Certainly the wifi and 3G web access should make float planning more accessible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-14-2011

chinook88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to chinook88
iPad gps

I just purchased one of the new bad elf devices from USA it arrived after 8 days to Australia. Plugged it in to my wifi iPad and then downloaded. The free app for the device. I had already downloaded the navionics app for 16 bucks.
It took about 2 minutes to set itself up for down under and then logged in to the satellites inside 30 seconds . Tried it out on the water and found it to be within 10 feet at any time.
Building a watertight case for the setup this weekend so I don't have to teach the iPad to swim.
I have no connection with bad elf just found the ten on the net and I am delighted with it
Old 03-14-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Navionics is completely missing sandy spit bvi in "chart only" view, so you still need to remain vigilant!
I have mentioned this before, but worth noting.

I have found several mislabeled aids to nav in Navionics that I use both on the Android and a chartplotter. Less crucial errors include misplaced marinas with incorrect information.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-14-2011

sealover is on a distinguished road
I got the new ipad 2 on Friday night. Downloaded the navimatics app to use with active captain. Non 3g ipads don't have GPS so I'll still have to use my crude fishfinder (or Droid) for coordinates if dead reckoning doesn't do.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 03-14-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Although on my own boat, IPAD/IPHONE/Navionics are for backup and planning, I found myself in St. John, St. Thomas, Vieques, and Culebra on charter last week with my IPAD and IPHONE with Navionics. It was a very nice way to double check on our paper chart/eyeball nav, and was accurate everyplace we went, including some unfamiliar places in the Spanish Virgins. It seems power hungry, but with a cigarette lighter plug/charger, we just left it running on the nav station. You can read it on deck, but it's not as bright as true sunlight readable displays IMHO.

I still would not use it as primary on my own boat, but I have to say, it worked flawlessly during this trip. If you have either of these devices for other reasons, adding the nav software is low incremental cost, and provides a nice backup system.

Again, remember to look up occasionally . Reality when sailing is better than virtual reality, again IMHO.
Old 03-14-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
My advanced navigation instructor encouraged us to utilize every tool at our disposal. GPS is a valuable tool to help me:
  1. check boat speed
  2. verify the accuracy of waypoints on paper charts when passage planning. When the proposed course on the chart doesn't match the same course on the GPS, it's time to re-check my figures.

However, I like having my paper charts handy unless I REALLY know the area. This feeling is shared by one of my sailing buddies who used to design software for these systems. He reminded me that while the folks who design the software are some of the finest people he knows, they:
  1. have to work to tight deadlines; and
  2. don't necessarily know anything about boats.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
My advanced navigation instructor encouraged us to utilize every tool at our disposal. GPS is a valuable tool to help me:
I got rid of the last paper chart a few weeks ago. It had been sitting growing mold for 3 years. Like every other paper chart it had never been used during my whole circumnavigation.

It ships and aircraft don't have them why does your instructor think you do?

Its fine and good to have a quick lesson on them incase you are transported back in a time machine, but really they are as dead as the Dodo bird.

That example above with the problem with the Navonics not showing the island at one zoom level shows that all routes should be checked at the closest zoom level, even if its 3,000nms! and at all zoom levels. Then when sailing it keep checking!

Its good to have more than one version of electronic charts. I have 3. Garmin, C-Map and CM-93. Also Google Earth is excellent, learn how to cache the downloaded images. And soon I will have Navonics on iPad.

By the way, there was a paper chart for sale the other day at a swap meet. Repriint data dated 1860's. Damn useless!

All the best

Mark

Old 03-15-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Mark
Mark

Sailjunkie is a Canadian. We are required to have paper charts and other publications unless

1) We have an ECDIS and are trained in its use, or
2) We on a vessel of less than 100 tons and have sufficient local knowledge

Quote:
Am I required by law to carry CHS charts? What are the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act?
Most vessels of any kind in Canada have an obligation to carry and use official charts and publications and to keep them up to date. The chart carriage requirements are listed in the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995 of the Canada Shipping Act.

CHS paper charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations. CHS digital charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations under certain circumstances. CHS Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) meet the requirements provided they are used with an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS). CHS raster charts meet the requirements only if paper charts are carried and used as a backup.

For further information on which charts meet the official requirements, please see our CHS Official Products and CHS Licensed Manufacturers.
CHS - Frequently Asked Questions - General

I expect his instructor is aware of this requirement.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 03-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I got rid of the last paper chart a few weeks ago. It had been sitting growing mold for 3 years. Like every other paper chart it had never been used during my whole circumnavigation.

This is sure to start an interesting debate. In all my year of sailing (lol) I have been told by everyone to ALWAYS have paper charts on board as backup. You're the first one to advise ditching the paper.

I love using the electronics, even on my relatively simple boat. I daysail in a river, which requires a lot of tacking, and I determine tacking points based on upcoming depth shown on the chartplotter. If I use the depthfinder, it will be too late and I'll run aground. (I've confirmed that the charted depths in my area are very accurate.)

However, I am taking an old fashioned Nav course (ASA 105) to be sure I have adequate skills with my backup method.

As for why airplanes don't need paper charts, if they have a total electrical failure, charts may be the least of their worries. If a sailboat has a total electrical failure, that's when the fun begins.

But you're more far more experienced than I am, so I guess you know better.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)