SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ipad for GPS (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/70959-ipad-gps.html)

glmark 12-30-2010 11:00 AM

Ipad for GPS

I see many folks using laptops for GPS, does anyone use an Ipad? If I wait one more season to start using GPS on our lake, I will have found every rock and shallow spot the hard way!

tommays 12-30-2010 11:11 AM

While i like my ipad its a fragile device unless you put it in and OtterBox by some software and pay for 3g service at which point it cost a good deal more than a far more robust chart plotter that you can read in sunlight

Now i even have a paper chart for Lake George Ny that tells me whats underwater :) and find its the best thing to know were bad stuff is

cb32863 12-30-2010 11:49 AM

I think you need charts for your lake if you are finding shallow spots and rocks.

hellosailor 12-30-2010 02:03 PM

I think it was on the Colbert Report that I heard "The iPad is not dishwasher safe, don't ask me how I know this."

Unlike marine chartplotters, which usually won't be bothered by splashing on a lake.

night0wl 12-30-2010 02:26 PM

Bad idea.

First of all, the wifi only ipads dont have any gps. They use network locatiing triangulation. Its decent...but you need to be on a network!

The 3g ipad does have GPS..its called A-GPS. Reports are conflicted on whether this is a true chip gps...but one thing is for certain, it uses cell tower triangulation to assist the gps in getting a fix be it faster and more detailed location awareness. Not good when you're out there.

There is a dedicated GPS that can attach to the ipad through its data port...but at that point, why spend the money. Better alternatives.

LinekinBayCD 12-30-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glmark (Post 681602)
I see many folks using laptops for GPS, does anyone use an Ipad? If I wait one more season to start using GPS on our lake, I will have found every rock and shallow spot the hard way!

If you want an Ipad get a Ipad. They are pretty cool but they are not a GPS that can get banged around, get wet, get dropped on deck andx steped on, etc. The handheld Garmins are pretty sturdy and a good value with preloaded charts. If all your sailing is on one lakem a base model with the purchase of the charts you need might be a better value unless you may move on to the great blue ocean in the future.

ggalanis 12-30-2010 02:54 PM

iPhone 4 w/ Navionics App works great!

Hope an iPad version is in the works.

nop 12-30-2010 10:23 PM

I use iNavX for the iPad and iPhone. I really like it.

I have the 3g version of the iPad, but the app doesn't need any connection because you pre-download all of the charts.

I've done some fairly tricky navigation with it, and I wouldn't use anything else.

jimmytc 12-31-2010 02:07 AM

iNavX on iPhone and iPad is awesome.
I like my ipad better than my chartplotter!

Minnewaska 12-31-2010 11:30 AM

I'm giving the Ipad a try this next cruising season, but I'm told there will be a new release in Jan or Feb that I'm waiting for.

There are several aftermarket waterproof cases. I'm hoping a GPS puck fits inside as well, as I don't think the onboard GPS is accurate or reliable enough, from what I'm being told by others.