SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Source for Chainplates

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  L02314564 
#1 ·
I found a crack in the starboard chainplate on my 73 Catalina 27. Looks like crevice corrosion where it bolts into the bulkhead. Anyone know of a source for these? With over 6000 built I'm hoping someone sells them. I saw a set on Catalina Direct, but they seem to have a different length and bolt pattern.

#2 ·
Contact someone at Catalina, I'm sure they can help. That said, there's nothing really technical about these. Take yours out and take it to a decent machine shop and they can make a new one. Do make sure it's 316SS or better material. Again Catalina should be able to help. They generally reply promptly.

#3 · (Edited)
Chainplates

Hey Mike, sorry to see you cracked a chainplate. Really sorry to see that you are stuck over there in Hawaii. Must be terrible over there with all the sunshine and warm weather. I don't know how you do it. :D

As for the chainplate, I see four ways to go:
1. Do as Faster suggests. Then you will have excellent control of the outcome.
2. I have the drawings for the original plates that came from Catalina but they are packed up right now. I will see if I can dig them out tomorrow and make a good scan for you if that would help you.
3. I also have another chainplate I can send to you if you want.
4. Order the upgraded chainplates from Catalina and replace both of yours so your won't have to worry about them for years to come. This is what I did, along with replace the bulkheads as they were wet as well.

update: Just went out to the storage shed for a quick look. I might need a few days to dig around. I didn't realize I had that much stuff for my C-27.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.