SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Dont Ever Do This (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/71045-dont-ever-do.html)

QuickMick 01-03-2011 01:15 PM

Dont Ever Do This

And if you do have this:

Loctite Marine Epoxy by Henkel Corporation - 1405604 - More Epoxies and glues at doitbest.com

ok. im an idiot. so im installing a new floor. wasnt happy with how well the adhesive was working (so ive bought something different and youre about to see why). So my braniac mind decided to drop #8 3/4 inch screws in to secure it. I BET YOU SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING. so, im dropping 7/64 pilot holes and, yep you guessed it, holed my own boat. So here i am (it was only 7/64 thank goodness) like the little dutch boy with my finger over it.
acting quickly i remembered i keep spare marine epoxy that cures wet. grabbed it, mixed it, applied. the little pee pee stream keeps pushing it out of the hole. im getting flabbergasted. for whatever reason, rather than use my finger to apply it i decided to grab a popsicile stick (had em around.. different story) scooped the epoxy from mixing tray and voila it worked.

Now. what do i do to ensure it holds? im thinking about just laying some glass over the repair until i have her plucked for other work.... any thoughts appreciated it.

what a flippin fiasco.
after i stopped it i just stared dumbfounded at the drill saying 'how i could i ever be such a *#$%'in idiot'
Q

edit: Btw the way the epoxy i used is supposedly rated to 3k lbs tensile strength

mitiempo 01-03-2011 01:34 PM

You could always drill another hole to let the water out.:D :D

QuickMick 01-03-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 682503)
You could always drill another hole to let the water out.:D :D

thanks ace... point taken. :puke

mitiempo 01-03-2011 01:38 PM

Couldn't resist.

I think the under water epoxy works but applied from the outside the force of the water would push it into the hole, not out of it, at least after jamming something into the hole from the inside.

Minnewaska 01-03-2011 01:53 PM

The only thing worse than the lack of judgment with the drill, is the lack of judgment to post the admission on the internet. All my blunders are immediately followed by saying to my wife, "this will never be spoken of again" :)

Seriously, I think you need a diver (with what I don't know) if you're not going to do a quick haul and patch it form the outside.

QuickMick 01-03-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 682514)
The only thing worse than the lack of judgment with the drill, is the lack of judgment to post the admission on the internet. All my blunders are immediately followed by saying to my wife, "this will never be spoken of again" :)

Seriously, I think you need a diver (with what I don't know) if you're not going to do a quick haul and patch it form the outside.

funny you mention that. if not for the fact that i get such good advice here that post would never exist... it barely made it as it is... I WAS TORN!

Minnewaska 01-03-2011 01:55 PM

Is it a good place to install a garboard plug? I think you did it intentionally. ;)

eherlihy 01-03-2011 02:09 PM

You need a water letter-outter...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...aterletter.jpg

JKCatalina310 01-03-2011 02:11 PM

This is why I carry a plunger (like you would use on a clogged toilet) on our boat (not my idea read it in a magazine, L&A I think).

You can put the plunger on the out side of the boat to stop the water and then make an appropriate repair from the inside.

CapnBilll 01-03-2011 02:14 PM

WHoooie!!! That is a woops, but funny story I did a simular thing myself. I was replacing a bilge pump and noticed one of the screws that was holding it in place had rusted and was stripped out. No problem I had another screw that was just a little bit longer. I noticed I had made a terrible mistake when the trickle of water started. My first thought, put that screw back, then I remembered it will rust someday and the leak will be back. I grabbed the marine epoxy and kept jamming into the hole with my finger until I had pushed about a teaspoon worth into the hole. Then set there and waited the 1 hour cure time with my finger covering the patch to prevent the water from pushing the glue back out. That was 5 years ago, the next bottom job I had the yard put a little gel coat over the area outside the hull, I put some on the inside.