Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Dont Ever Do This

And if you do have this:

Loctite Marine Epoxy by Henkel Corporation - 1405604 - More Epoxies and glues at doitbest.com

ok. im an idiot. so im installing a new floor. wasnt happy with how well the adhesive was working (so ive bought something different and youre about to see why). So my braniac mind decided to drop #8 3/4 inch screws in to secure it. I BET YOU SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING. so, im dropping 7/64 pilot holes and, yep you guessed it, holed my own boat. So here i am (it was only 7/64 thank goodness) like the little dutch boy with my finger over it.
acting quickly i remembered i keep spare marine epoxy that cures wet. grabbed it, mixed it, applied. the little pee pee stream keeps pushing it out of the hole. im getting flabbergasted. for whatever reason, rather than use my finger to apply it i decided to grab a popsicile stick (had em around.. different story) scooped the epoxy from mixing tray and voila it worked.

Now. what do i do to ensure it holds? im thinking about just laying some glass over the repair until i have her plucked for other work.... any thoughts appreciated it.

what a flippin fiasco.
after i stopped it i just stared dumbfounded at the drill saying 'how i could i ever be such a *#$%'in idiot'
Q

edit: Btw the way the epoxy i used is supposedly rated to 3k lbs tensile strength

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 01-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
You could always drill another hole to let the water out.
Sea Diamond likes this.
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
You could always drill another hole to let the water out.
thanks ace... point taken.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 01-03-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Couldn't resist.

I think the under water epoxy works but applied from the outside the force of the water would push it into the hole, not out of it, at least after jamming something into the hole from the inside.
Old 01-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The only thing worse than the lack of judgment with the drill, is the lack of judgment to post the admission on the internet. All my blunders are immediately followed by saying to my wife, "this will never be spoken of again"

Seriously, I think you need a diver (with what I don't know) if you're not going to do a quick haul and patch it form the outside.
Old 01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The only thing worse than the lack of judgment with the drill, is the lack of judgment to post the admission on the internet. All my blunders are immediately followed by saying to my wife, "this will never be spoken of again"

Seriously, I think you need a diver (with what I don't know) if you're not going to do a quick haul and patch it form the outside.
funny you mention that. if not for the fact that i get such good advice here that post would never exist... it barely made it as it is... I WAS TORN!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 01-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Is it a good place to install a garboard plug? I think you did it intentionally.
Old 01-03-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
You need a water letter-outter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 01-03-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
This is why I carry a plunger (like you would use on a clogged toilet) on our boat (not my idea read it in a magazine, L&A I think).

You can put the plunger on the out side of the boat to stop the water and then make an appropriate repair from the inside.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 01-03-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
WHoooie!!! That is a woops, but funny story I did a simular thing myself. I was replacing a bilge pump and noticed one of the screws that was holding it in place had rusted and was stripped out. No problem I had another screw that was just a little bit longer. I noticed I had made a terrible mistake when the trickle of water started. My first thought, put that screw back, then I remembered it will rust someday and the leak will be back. I grabbed the marine epoxy and kept jamming into the hole with my finger until I had pushed about a teaspoon worth into the hole. Then set there and waited the 1 hour cure time with my finger covering the patch to prevent the water from pushing the glue back out. That was 5 years ago, the next bottom job I had the yard put a little gel coat over the area outside the hull, I put some on the inside.