Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-05-2011

lawdawg is on a distinguished road
knife - myerchin offshore folder or boye folder

trying to get some opinions on these two knives- they are both nice, boye seems like it would be easier to one hand open and I like the what I've read about the blade material, but any experience with either would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend the Boye knives. They're very nice. I have two that I use on an almost daily basis. One is a sheepshead with serrated blade, the other is a drop point with no serrations. I like the drop point better.

The marlinspike is nice too and has a small hole in it so it can be used as an awl and has a shacklepin key slot.

However, if you have large hands, you may want a thicker handle to the knife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-05-2011

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road
Brought 2 of the P300SL - sailors tool knives- love them - sharp!
Old 01-05-2011
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
Have both. The myerchim seized up in about a year. Bought a boye at the Miami Boat Show and it's alot better quality and the action remains smooth.
Old 01-05-2011

thanks for all the comments, just the sort of real world experience I was hoping for
Old 01-05-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd recommend the Boye knives. They're very nice. I have two that I use on an almost daily basis. One is a sheepshead with serrated blade, the other is a drop point with no serrations. I like the drop point better.

The marlinspike is nice too and has a small hole in it so it can be used as an awl and has a shacklepin key slot.

However, if you have large hands, you may want a thicker handle to the knife.

Excuse my ignorance but SD you mentioned the marlinspike. I googled the bole knifes mentioned and can't find any mention of a marlinspike. Does it come integrated with one of the knifes mentioned or is it an separate tool?

As well, from the stand point of safety, wanting a knife to cut my self free from a tether that is under load, is a folding knife the way to go?

John
Old 01-05-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
I think I may be answering my own question with this.
In the photo found in the link below, is the small blade "integrated" into the handle considered to me the marlinspike? It appears so. I ask because in my very limited experience I consider a marlinspike to be round not flat and without an edge, unlike what is pictured.

Folding Boat Knives | Rigging & Safety Knife | Utility Blade

John
Old 01-05-2011

here is the boye link, you can see where you can add the marlin spike, from what I understand it is easier to one hand open than the myerchin, the myerchin just feels more substantial from the one I saw, but I haven't seen the boye in person and so input is great
Old 01-05-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I had my wife get me a Myerchin for Christmas last year and its the worst knife I've ever owned. The blade folding mechanism is weak and the blade can open in you pocket. I've nearly sliced myself removing the knife from my pocket before relegating it to the drawer of unused tools.
Old 01-06-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... that's the marlinspike, and I've found the flat design to be far more useful than the rounded design on the Myerchin. It is easier to get leverage with the flat design IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
I think I may be answering my own question with this.
In the photo found in the link below, is the small blade "integrated" into the handle considered to me the marlinspike? It appears so. I ask because in my very limited experience I consider a marlinspike to be round not flat and without an edge, unlike what is pictured.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post

here is the boye link, you can see where you can add the marlin spike, from what I understand it is easier to one hand open than the myerchin, the myerchin just feels more substantial from the one I saw, but I haven't seen the boye in person and so input is great
The Myerchin is a lot bulkier than the Boye, but when it comes to function, I've used both....don't own a Myerchin, own three Boyes—have beaten the daylights out of two of them as work knives and have no complaints. They also cut high-tech lines like dyneema and spectra core ones a lot better than the Myerchins. BTW, the third one is in my ditch bag.

Also, I can open the Boye lefty or righty, and I'm pretty much a klutz when it comes to opening stuff lefty... but I can open the Boye's safely lefty... that says a lot. I can also close it singlehandedly too...

Finally, I can get the marlinespike open with one hand on the Boyes... Never could do that on the Myerchin, and like the fact that the shackle key is on the marlinspike, not the knife blade...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-06-2011 at 12:19 AM.