Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-10-2011

rhsanborn is on a distinguished road
DIY - Bottom Paint

I bought a 1978 Morgan OI 30' last autumn, and I'm trying to get a checklist of things to do in the spring. It has VC17 on it now, and I believe I need to redo that. Does anyone know of a thread documenting the process of repainting the bottom (sanding, etc). Also, how do you get the areas that are covered by the stands? I've been reading a around a bit, and it looks like smoothing the whole thing down with a sander (mask, suit) and then recoating is the general rule, but I have't seen many details.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While this is technically a post I wrote about applying barrier coating, it works for bottom paint quite well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Alternating the colors helps a lot with determining where you've painted, but it is also very useful for helping you coat the areas around the boat stands. For instance:

The first layer is gray, since the gelcoat is white, and you can paint right up to the boat stand pads. Then you paint a layer of white, and leave about a two-inch margin of gray paint around the pads... then paint a layer a gray and leave a four-inch margin around the pads or about two-inches of white and two inches of gray showing...and then finish with a layer of white—with a six-inch margin around the pads—with two inches of gray, two inches of white and two inches of gray.

Then when you move the boat stands, you can fill in the pads and layer the paint accordingly... adding gray to cover the white square left by the pad.. then white to cover the gray square, and so on.

Also, by alternating colors, you can see if someone has sanded through the barrier coat when you're prepping the boat for re-painting. If there's an area that is gray or grayish, they've sanded through at least the outermost layer of barrier coat. If you had all white, you wouldn't be able to tell if they had sanded down through the barrier coat as easily—if you had all gray, you could tell they sanded through the barrier coat...but not if they've sanded into it...

I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2011

Thanks SD. Then, I just need to confirm with the yard that sanding on premises is acceptable, and a random orbit with a shop vac attached should be all I need? How much do I need to take off?
Old 01-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on the bottom paint that is on the boat, what kind of shape it is in and what you're using. For some reason, I seem to remember that it is generally wise to go down to the gelcoat or barrier coating for VC17, but I could be wrong. Do you know what is currently on the boat. BTW, if you do have to take it down to the gelcoat, I would HIGHLY recommend putting on Interlux Interprotect 2000E as a barrier coat/primer before adding the bottom paint.

However, if it has VC17 on it, and you want to use VC17 again, then you probably don't have to go down to the gelcoat, but you should definitely check with the manufacturer for what the recommendations are.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you are using VC 17 you probably sail on the Great Lakes or a freshwater lake somewhere.
If you are going to re-coat with VC17 I'd suggest reading the label on the can and try to follow the Mfr's recommendations on how much prep work you should do.

Everybody has one:

Old 01-10-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Go here, and download the guide:

Boat Painting Guide | Interlux
Old 01-10-2011

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
If you have VC 17 and it is in decent shape I would recommend you wet sand by hand. Once this is completed hose off the bottom and let it dry. You can also cut the VC 17 with acidtone which allow you to cover more area.
I do my bottom each spring and 2.5 quarts will cover the bottom of a 37 foot boat.
Old 01-10-2011
Telstar 28

That would be ACETONE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddier1 View Post
If you have VC 17 and it is in decent shape I would recommend you wet sand by hand. Once this is completed hose off the bottom and let it dry. You can also cut the VC 17 with acidtone which allow you to cover more area.
I do my bottom each spring and 2.5 quarts will cover the bottom of a 37 foot boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-10-2011

Thanks for the link. Assumptions were correct. I'm in Lake Huron, and I have VC17. I do a light sand, and apply over top. Thanks for the help guys. I'm thrilled for spring :-) .
Old 01-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Here is an interlux compatibility chart that I found for you. As far as interlux is concerned, unless you are repainting with VC17, you will have to fully remove it for any other Interlux product.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/Literature...-chart-usa.pdf

Petit does claim compatibility with just a hard sanding for most of their products.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ns/afchart.pdf