SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   need hot water heater (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/71227-need-hot-water-heater.html)

twisted23 01-11-2011 12:31 AM

need hot water heater

who makes the best on demand ,120 volt, hot water heater?,and small enough to fit in a sail locker or similar place ? ...the opening i have is only 12 inches max....but larger once inside...any one find one that actually works well?
thanks Ron

fcsob 01-11-2011 08:26 AM

A friend of mine installed a Bosch GL2.5 ariston water heater ,says it work great.

sailingdog 01-11-2011 08:42 AM

There aren't any good on-demand 120 VAC hot water heaters. Most of the on-demand ones are propane or natural gas powered, and really not suitable for a marine environment.

I'd point out that the Ariston isn't an on-demand, but a small tank water heater.

mitiempo 01-11-2011 11:06 AM

Isotemp has slim heaters that would probably fit and they are very good quality. But as dog says they are tank as opposed to instant.
Indel Webasto Marine - Isotemp Water Heaters - Robust & High Quality Marine Heating Solutions

SanDiegoChip 01-11-2011 12:23 PM

We have friends on two different sail boats that have propane hot water heaters. They like them a lot. They are installed in the engine room. They have CC 41 sail boats here in the states. We asked our insurance company if it would be OK and they sail only if we mounted it on the rail (or such a place). So that is the rub. Nice hot water and no insurance or well maybe when we go cruising we will not be able to afford insurance so .. well propane hot water heater :D
They are popular in Europe I hear.

Chip

mitiempo 01-11-2011 01:31 PM

They are popular in Europe - but in homes, not boats.

ffiill 01-11-2011 02:49 PM

Actually its quite common practise to see yachts in the uk fitted with balanced flue instant hot water heaters-for those with a scooped stern with bathing platform outlet is often here.
A balaned flue is where air is taken in through an outer jacket surrounding the inner flue pipe and combustion takes place in a combustion chamber completely sealed from interior of boat.
On caravans and RVs its easier .You can also get ones that take air from inside and flue vent overboard but are problematic /illegal on new builds.
When my boat was built 30 years ago it had one of those instant gas gesers which vented into the cabin-totally no go these days.

mitiempo 01-11-2011 07:25 PM

As far as I know all the common makes in North America do not have closed combustion chambers, Paloma, Bosch, Excel among them. I did see one that had a closed combustion chamber as an option.
PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats

deniseO30 01-11-2011 09:54 PM

I sell and we install Quietside on demand units, Only one that uses pvc venting that I know of. Not Marine rated of course.
120 volt on demand WHs, would only be good for sink use, dishes, tea or coffee. very small input at 1500 watts there abouts. I don't think would be able to supply continuous flow for showers.

boatpoker 01-12-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoChip (Post 685571)
We have friends on two different sail boats that have propane hot water heaters. They like them a lot. They are installed in the engine room. They have CC 41 sail boats here in the states. We asked our insurance company if it would be OK and they sail only if we mounted it on the rail (or such a place). So that is the rub. Nice hot water and no insurance or well maybe when we go cruising we will not be able to afford insurance so .. well propane hot water heater :D
They are popular in Europe I hear.

Chip

Propane in an engine room.........BOOM !