SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   vinyl mats and galley counter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/71292-vinyl-mats-galley-counter.html)

QuickMick 01-13-2011 11:35 AM

vinyl mats and galley counter

ive been looking around for material to cover the counter in the galley. tile is out, HD and lowes dont sell remenants of formica/corian, and the only sheet they would sell me is HUGE. so i got some of these

3-Piece 12" x 15" Flexible Food Chopping Cutting Mats on eBay!

and am thinking of using them for the project. any reason not to do this?

jackdale 01-13-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 686332)
ive been looking around for material to cover the counter in the galley. tile is out, HD and lowes dont sell remenants of formica/corian, and the only sheet they would sell me is HUGE. so i got some of these

and am thinking of using them for the project. any reason not to do this?

I have used similar ones. They score very easily. I would not use them as a permanent surface. I see them becoming a trap for bacteria and other nasties.

Allanbc 01-13-2011 11:43 AM

Also, if you set a hot pot on them, they will melt.

jackdale 01-13-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allanbc (Post 686340)
Also, if you set a hot pot on them, they will melt.

Yep. Of course laminate would blister and Corian will not take heat either. Silicone pads are great as hot pads.

QuickMick 01-13-2011 11:56 AM

when you used them as 'non-permanent' did you use any type of adhesive or just set them in place? thanks guys

zedboy 01-13-2011 11:58 AM

Why not get some remnants of vinyl floor? Tough, has a nice tile pattern, very easy to cut/work with, and can be picked up very cheap.

jackdale 01-13-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 686350)
when you used them as 'non-permanent' did you use any type of adhesive or just set them in place? thanks guys

Kept them in a drawer and set them on the counter when needed. The fiddles on the counter prevents them from falling off.

Faster 01-13-2011 12:07 PM

What is the actual area required? I've often seen small sections (2'x4') available at supply stores.. plywood, arborite, etc etc.

Also check out kitchen builders and housing contractors for offcuts, leftovers and damaged bits. (Granite often cracks in transit!!;) ) Used building supply outlets, auction houses.... anywhere you might find some castoffs.

Allanbc 01-13-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 686349)
Yep. Of course laminate would blister and Corian will not take heat either. Silicone pads are great as hot pads.

While true, those other surfaces are more forgiving than the plastic cutting boards. ;)

Allanbc 01-13-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 686353)
Kept them in a drawer and set them on the counter when needed. The fiddles on the counter prevents them from falling off.

That is what I do. Sometimes I even used them on top of my wood cutting board because they are easier to wash than the cutting board or when cutting meat and you don't want to fully contaminate the cutting board.