Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-05-2001

robinhood is on a distinguished road
Self-furlers

We have just fitted furlers to our genoa and stays''l. Several sailors have said "Oh no - jamming is a real problem." Any comments on the risk of jamming versus the risks in going out on the bowsprit to change sails please?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
Self-furlers

When I look at those boats with long bowsprits I get the chills. I really like roller furling/reefing.

Like any tool they work best when used right. One of the biggest causes of jams is cobbling caused by not enough tension on the line as the sail is rolled out.

Tell me what kind of furler/reefer that you have an on what boat?
Old 02-05-2001

Self-furlers

MikeMoss - thanks for your response - my feelings exactly. We have a classic wooden cutter - see pic on our page. She has a long bowsprit.
The genoa is about 115% and the stays''l also a reasonable size. We particularly like the stays''l if it gets rough and choppy - the genoa is really a lighter weather sail.
The furlers are Profurl (B29 Long and B29 Short models) and seem to be beautifully made - we installed them ourselves so we really know how they work. The only problem we have had is when we didn''t tighten the halyard enough and the halyard itself got around the wrapstop at the top. That solved, we haven''t had another problem. I haven''t got the exact details from others about how the jams they experienced or heard about occurred.
I''m also a bit surprised to see so many of them about on cruisers and even offshore racers, if they cause so much trouble.
Our experience (only used them 6 times so far) has been GREAT. Huge confidence boost in the strong onshore breezes we get here.
Old 02-05-2001

cmitcpghpa is on a distinguished road
Self-furlers

i am searching for a torque link for an old ''Stream Stay'' K2 roller furler. one link holds each of the 5 sections of the aluminum furler in alignment with its neighbors. the link is a stainless pin with a delrin bushing.One broken link makes the entire roller furler unusable as the topmost section will not stay in alignment to the lower section and the sail twists and won''t unfurl. Does Any one have any sources for this old part ??
Old 02-06-2001

Self-furlers

I hear the Profurl is top of the line. I have a Schaefer 2100 on a C&C 35-1 and it works really well for furling and I use it to reef sails as large as 150% will great success.

A tangle at the head can also be cause by too vertical of a halyard position. The Schaefer offers a deflecting plate to force the halyard into a greater angle from the forestay.

Enjoy
Old 02-06-2001

Self-furlers

I hear the Profurl is top of the line. I have a Schaefer 2100 on a C&C 35-1 and it works really well for furling and I use it to reef sails as large as 150% with great success.

A tangle at the head can also be cause by too vertical of a halyard position. The Schaefer offers a deflecting plate to force the halyard into a greater angle from the forestay.

Enjoy
Old 02-06-2001

Self-furlers

Thanks MikeMoss - I''m not sure I understand what you mean by the deflecting plate . . .
Is it like the wrapstop arrangement - a small circular fitting over the top of the furler tube with a cutout on the side nearest the mast to catch the halyard?
I think our furlers are at the right angle - in fact we have tightened the genoa one about 10mm and it now winds up more precisely and doesn''t swing about. Can''t have it too tight on a wooden mast.
Old 02-10-2001

DougLeavens is on a distinguished road
Self-furlers

I also have Hyde Streamstay furler. A company in New Jersey still sells all the parts. I have the info but itis on my boat under cover for the winter. They do advertise in sailing mag. If you don''t find them by early april email me and I will have the info off the boat.
Old 02-12-2001

cmitcpghpa is on a distinguished road
Self-furlers

The part i am searching for is for the Stream Stay systems roller furler ''K2 sectional system'' with 1.07 inch diameter foil extrusion. This roller furler was in excess of $1800 , and was formerly sold and manufactured out of bristol, RI. the dealer, Rig Rite, Warwick RI had promised me this part 2 years ago and still '' cannot get it'' from the manufacturer.. Rigrite tells me I should consider purchasing an entire new roller furler, when what I lack is a $17 ''torque link'' or ''connecting tube.''
Old 04-10-2001

JSobo1 is on a distinguished road
Self-furlers

I am replacing a Streamstay furler in a few weeks. The foil section with the sail feeder broke. Otherwise the furler is in good condition. Contact me and maybe we can work a deal.