SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Simple question, but still a question:keel repair (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/71309-simple-question-but-still-question-keel-repair.html)

eckcn17 01-13-2011 05:56 PM

Simple question, but still a question:keel repair

Hi,
Purchased a pearson 31 this fall, have not sailed her yet. There was no wood placed under the keel on the cradle, and the very bottom (of the keel) has some damage that I can see. I would like to fiberglass it this spring but not sure what the best approach to reach the bottom of the keel would be? The boat needs to be raised to access the damage, that is for sure. Do I ask the marina (skipper buds) if I they can lift it and leave it on the sling over-night for me? I was thinking maybe they could leave it in the sling for me the night before launch and I could repair it then?
Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris

Yorksailor 01-13-2011 06:08 PM

It is common to request that you be the last lift of the day and leave her in the slings overnight. Essential if the boat is made of wood and needs the wood to swell overnight.

Phil

sailingfool 01-13-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckcn17 (Post 686547)
Hi,
Purchased a pearson 31 this fall, have not sailed her yet. There was no wood placed under the keel on the cradle, and the very bottom (of the keel) has some damage that I can see. I would like to fiberglass it this spring but not sure what the best approach to reach the bottom of the keel would be? The boat needs to be raised to access the damage, that is for sure. Do I ask the marina (skipper buds) if I they can lift it and leave it on the sling over-night for me? I was thinking maybe they could leave it in the sling for me the night before launch and I could repair it then?
Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris

If you are going to do a repair that will last, it'll take more than one night to do. Typically you'll want three layers of glass or epoxy, followed by two paint, depending on just what you are fixing. You should allow a week do do something like that, as the weather can matter also.

You probably should have the boat reblocked so you can get at what you need to access.

brak 01-14-2011 07:33 AM

I thought Pearson 31 had a bolt-on keel? Is it an encapsulated keel?

eckcn17 01-14-2011 10:26 AM

Thanks for the responses! If I have it re-blocked, can the boat be supported with nothing under the keel?
Thanks again!
Chris

JimsCAL 01-15-2011 06:45 AM

I'm with brak on this one. Pretty sure its a bolt-on keel. Any repair is more likely some filling and fairing with epoxy, not fiberglass.

harbin2 01-15-2011 02:14 PM

Chris
I would definitely want the boat supported by the keel. The stands are for balance. I had a similar issue a couple years ago. I had my yard crew block the front and back of the keel the first year. They used 4 x 4s to give me a little room. Then the next year, I had them block the center. It worked pretty well but wasn't an instant fix. You can't do it overnight.
harbin2
Islander 30, Bahama

paul323 01-15-2011 02:42 PM

I'd be very nervous having the boat supported only by the stands. The pressure if supporting the full weight of the hull on those small pads...ouch...I am no marine architect, but I am guessing the hull wasn't designed to take that kind of pressure. I'd hate to see massive dimples on the sides when you launched her!

gjaoryce 03-15-2011 10:01 PM

I have a similar problem on my Endeavour 32. Unfortunatley it is resting in my driveway far from a travel lift. I hope to lift it slightly to remove some of the cradle crossmembers. I'll have to do this before launch this year but it will take more than one movement of the beams to complete the job. Any suggestions?

olson34 03-16-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul323 (Post 687188)
I'd be very nervous having the boat supported only by the stands. The pressure if supporting the full weight of the hull on those small pads...ouch...I am no marine architect, but I am guessing the hull wasn't designed to take that kind of pressure. I'd hate to see massive dimples on the sides when you launched her!

The boat hull has no problem supporting its keel, in or out of water. OTOH, the yard should be smart enough to know where to place the stands along the hull. Stands should go under bulkheads or other internal support parts and should number about four stands per side for this operation.
When our keel was dropped for a re-bed they supported it with lots of stands. No hull problems at all.
L