Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-19-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your logic is faulty... there are a LOT OF PEOPLE using watermakers... Just because you're one that isn't doesn't mean jack. How many people do you know using ultrasonic antifouling??? Their webpage has so many caveats about what could cause it to fail as to be almost worthless.

From their FAQ page:

Quote:
Does Smart-Antifouling M20 work on all boats ?
Smart-Antifouling M20 works on 90 percent of boats in the marketplace, with very few rare exceptions. It does not work on the very rare boats built with cored fiberglass hulls or solid bottoms in excess of 25mm / 1” thickness. Smart-Antifouling M20 is also limited in metal hulls, steel or Aluminium to a maximum plate thickness of 6mm - 1/4 inch. Special consideration must be given to installation in hulls which feature an over-abundance of structural members including heavy frames, ribs or longitudinal stringers.
Now, a lot of boats I've seen have cored fiberglass hulls... and they're not all that rare. I've also seen a lot of older boats with hulls thicker than 1". I've also seen a lot of metal boats that have hulls thicker than a 1/4". Then they have the catch all of "Special consideration"... which basically eliminates a lot of other boats.... so what boats does it work on??? 90% of the boats that don't meet the criteria above...

Finally, if their product really worked, don't you think they'd offer a money-back guarantee or warranty of some sort. They don't warranty or guarantee performance at all. Again, from their FAQ page:

Quote:
What is the life expectancy of the system ?
The control unit and the transducer are encapsulated to ensure a long life, the best material, design and production standards are ultilized to ensure a long time use. Be careful to avoid cable chafing which could potentially prevent the system from operating at its full potential or short the components, we fully guarantee the system for one year from the date of purchase against mechanical defect, provided the system is correctly installed.
Note, nothing about performance or effectiveness is guaranteed, just mechanical defects....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Obviously this is exactly what the OP is trying to find out. Do you know if people are actually using it?

I don't use a watermarker, therefore watermakers don't work. Duh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-19-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2011

mobilerefinishers is on a distinguished road
Angry ultrasonic antifouling

OK let me put this to rest so all of you understand this very very clearly... As a once seller of these products on this antifouling technology I can tell you for certain that it absolutely does NOT WORK... I have developed instruments for testing this and have tested it on 12 boats of varies sizes and shapes spending alot of time and money. These Products do not work do not be taken in on the hopes that this will work. I believe the people thinking it is working are just hoping and believe it is working. I have even tested the units with different materials in the water and the unit itself grew barnacles on it. What does that tell you!... My tests where all conducted in the ocean not on lakes or ponds so I can only speak for this technology in the ocean. I am sure this will stir up more debates but these are the facts and I have all the documentation and shrinking bank account that proves it. SORRY FOLKS I wanted it to work, I would have gotten Rich!
Old 06-14-2013

galena is on a distinguished road
Re: ultrasonic antifouling?

I guess that I'm going to disagree with Mobile...I've had a system in my boat for around a year now with good results. I did it because a friend of mine had one done one in NY with good results. I own a 36ft. Seahawk with twin diesels. My biggest concern before I took the plunge was would they stand behind it if it didn't work. They gave me a 90 money back guarantee if I wasn't happy with it. That was the part that allowed me to convince my wife. The unit cost me around $1400 installed. I'm an avid diver so I figured I could keep a close eye on the hull. After one month I dove the boat and saw a layer of slime on it. I thought the unit wasn't working but after brushing the slime with my hand it turned out to be dead algae. So now after one year I figured that the unit is already paid for because I'm not pulling the boat to have it painted. Before I had to have the bottom cleaned every month. My thoughts are that because the ablative paint that I have on the bottom hasn't been scrubbed, that it's lasting much longer. I'm an Electrical Engineer so the whole process seemed to make sense. I will be changing my anodes in another couple of months and will post pictures then. The boat went in with a fresh bottom paint before I had the unit installed.
Old 06-14-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

"The boat went in with a fresh bottom paint before I had the unit installed. "

How long was it between the time of splashing the boat with fresh bottom paint and having the unit installed?

Could it be the bottom paint that is keeping the fouling to a minimum, not the
ultrasonics?

Is this ultrasonic system similar in nature to the magnetic wrist bands, magnetic water softeners and sleeping under a pyramid of crystals and copper?
Old 06-14-2013

Morild is on a distinguished road

A sailing magazine here in Denmark did a more extensive test of this last year, with good results over the season without antifouling paint.
BUT it was a smaller powerboat, with perhaps quite a "thin shell".
Old 06-25-2013

I agree with your thoughts that the fresh bottom paint might have been the reason for its performance. However I've always had a good bottom paint on the hull and still had lots of growth. Especially on my drive gear. I would have to scrub the hull at least once a month prior to having the ultrasonic system installed. So my conclusion is that it's doing what it was promised to do. I'm also not sure that all of them are of the same quality. I did quite a bit of research before I picked one. Some of them had 110 volt ac transformers built into them. This would allow you to use either 110 volt ac or 12 volt dc. I ran away from those because of the tremendous amount of heat generated by the transformer. These units are in sealed boxes to keep them dry from moisture. So to have a hot transformer next to a circuit board would be a recipe for failure. The 12 volt dc model remains cool to the touch. It also didn't make sense to me since I will always have access to a 12 volt dc power source on my boat. Anyway, I'm glad I took the chance on one. I'm now able to enjoy the boat more. I'm hauling the boat out soon so I will post some photos then.
Old 06-25-2013

CaptainM: I didn't answer your questions...The bottom paint and the ultrasonic unit were within a week of each other. Actually the unit was installed first then the boat was hauled and painted. I looked at the system in the same way that I had a chlorine salt generator installed in my pool. They both claimed to solve a problem using little more than a control box and some circuitry. The chlorine system would prevent me from having to add chemicals each week to my pool. It cost me around $1400 installed versus around $6 a week in doing the chemicals by hand. Like the ultrasonic system, the chlorine generator was supposed to keep my pool chemicals in check without me having to deal with it. It's more consistent than spiking it once a week. The ultrasonic system does a similar task for me. Now I'm not having to dive and scrub the hull anymore. It's keeping the hull clean on a consistent basis. As far as the crystals and magnets are concerned....The only magnet I have on the boat is for retrieving items that I've dropped in the water.