Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-02-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

We are finally going on a cruise and have decided to not heat up the cabin with the stove but to use a gas grill instead. Any makes/models we should look to get or look to avoid & why?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

Paulk,

Isn''t it "universally" accepted that using an open flame gas grill in closed spaces is a dangerous idea? Did you research this before making your decision?

Duane
Old 06-03-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

Am NOT planning to use a gas grill below decks. Am planning to AVOID using the galley stove, which would heat up the cabin in the summer, by using a gas grill on the stern rail instead. Am wondering which gas grill is the best one to get. I''ve seen/heard of Magma and Force 10. Any advice?
Old 06-03-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

PaulK,

I have the small Force 10 grill on my 26 ft.boat.For my purposes,(single-handling), it works great and I really like it. I''ve chartered boats that had the larger Magma round grill on them. If I were planning on cooking for more than one person most of the time, I would go with the Magma. They have a large surface area and stay lit in very strong winds.
Old 06-04-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

PaulK,

LOL! I really misinterpreted your post. Sorry about that.

I have no grill advice for you, but hope you get the info you need.

Fair winds.
Duane
Old 06-04-2003

AJS is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

I have the larger version of the Force 10, it works very well. A friend has the Magma, it works fairly poorly (bad for catching grease and catching fire, we call it the Olympic Torch...)Also bad for have hotdogs roll off into the drink!
Both are overpriced but what can you do?

Old 06-04-2003

AJS is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

But not to be negative - I wouldn''t go with out a gas grill on my boat. We do 95% of our cooking with it and it does a good job with even heat. I would recommend the Force 10 log style. I haven''t used the smaller one but I find the large one to be barely large enough if we have guests, and we always do.
Old 06-04-2003

mlc101 is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

I currently own both the large magma and large force 10 and have used both extensively. I find both excellent and both roughly equivalent.
I do think the magma stays lit a little better in strong wind, but the force 10 fits on the rail much better. Both have good surface area for cooking and good heat. I keep mine on the rail full time, have a 10# aluminum propane tank fastened to the stern rail and love it. So, FWIW, I gave the edge slightly (VERY slightly) to the Force 10, and parked the magma.
Old 06-04-2003

splitmind is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

I''ve used the log force 10''s and found them useless in a blow. They a finicky, and blow out very easy.

I purchased the small dickenson bbq, and am pleased with it. Last week freind docked beside us, and we used both BBQ''s to cook. Theirs, the large force 10, ours the small dikenson. Both are brand new. (three weeks old) The force 10 blew out 5 times in 15 kts wind. Ours lit instantly and burned until it was turned off. I would avoid the force 10 like the plague.

The magma I''ve heard only great things. It gives the added benefit of putting a pot on it. I''ve never used one personally.
Old 06-05-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Gas Grill

Had Magma "party size"... worked fine, had to orient the lid as a windscreen when it was windy, blew out sometimes, but not a big deal. I agree about stuff rolling off into the water, easy to s
do.

New boat came with a large Dickenson (-sen?) "Sea-B-Que".... much nicer. Very well made, easier to use all the rectangular cooking area as opposed to Magma''s circle, Things not so likely to go overboard. It''s hooked up directly to the propane tanks, which is nice (we used the little disposable bottles for the Magma). My only concern is the weight on the stern rail. It''s a much beefier unit than the Magma. We like to leave it on the rail unless we''re making a long passage, and I wonder if it''s too heavy for that.

Whatever you decide, watch eBay for a few weeks for used ones. You can get a great deal. It won''t be shiny and pristine, but your brand new one won''t be after 3 uses, either...

Stacey
www.sailnamaste.com